• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028a2 front hub rehab

319cssb

Good morning everyone.
is there a two piece seal for the front axle of the dually? I am going to replace the wheel bearing and was wondering if the bearings are special? Autozone got a few to pick from. Anything i should look out for?

cucvrus

Describe 2 piece seal. I think it is just a 1984 dually front grease seal. Nothing special that I am aware of. I only ever had 1 dually CUCV and I bought standard parts for it at Autozone, NAPA, or Mom and Pop auto parts. Same as civilian. I bought National seals. I hope that helps. Get the spindle seals and the dust seals that are in behind the spindle. Make sure you clean and grease the often neglected spindle bearings. Good Luck.

319cssb

I must have read something and mixed it up with a rear axle seal. I think someone mentioned a two component seal that wouldn't leak easily.

319cssb

What a total and utter pain, I couldn't get the small surclip on the axle. Ill drive her a few miles and see if i can then tighten the inner and outer lock nuts some more. There is a smidge missing dor the surclip to go in its grove. The larger surclip went in without problem

TGP (IL)

The inner and outer bearing nuts have nothing to do with the inner axle not getting the clip on.
Those nuts Must be adjusted correctly for proper bearing pre-load.

Take a small pry bar, reach around the backing plate and gently pry the axle U joint toward the Hub.
The axle slides inward while your working on it and you need to bring it back out to install the clip.

You need a manual.
Tom

319cssb

Yes, thinking of it what you say makes sense. I was in the heat and a bit dehydrated. I'll do some prying tomorrow.

PS which TM has the procedure? I looked in the -20 and it doesn't talk in much detail of how the job is supposed to be performed

Last edited:

319cssb

Did as suggested and pushed carefully out on the axle and the snap ring went right in. One problem down 99 more to go.
Don't work on your truck when dehydrated!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks