• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Plant Wiring

mijoe

Good Morning,

I recently acquired a trailer-mounted power plant, with a switch unit in between the generators to allow the load to be swung from one generator to the other. Unfortunately, the wiring from the generators to the switches has been cut and the connectors are missing. These connections appear to be Bendix or AMP 44-12 connections and replacement connectors are very expensive. Has anyone converted one of these switch boxes to work with consumer-type connectors? Also, can anyone confirm they have successfully used this type of load switch with single phase 240?

DSC_0701.jpg DSC_0700.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a military generator but have not had it running or used it to answer your specific questions on this plug and switch. I have been a licensed electrician for 40+ years.

Myself, I like to hard wire when possible and the missing parts would seem to make that possible. But then again, your use may be mobile and need the same plug(s).

Can you put a 240v, 50a, 1 phase welder plug on it?

Have you searched the TM's for a wiring diagram?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Ray70 has an extra trailer mounted switch (sold the gensets that had been on the trailer). Might want to look him up here. Hes based in Rhode Island.

mijoe

I think Ray70 has an extra trailer mounted switch (sold the gensets that had been on the trailer). Might want to look him up here. Hes based in Rhode Island.
I have the switch, but am looking for the wiring. based on pictures, it seems like the wiring is not with many of the trailers that are sold. I could hard wire them I suspect, especially since I can disconnect the generator-lug side of the wire.

DieselGenAC

Those mil Class L connectors (MIL-C-22922, MS90555) are ridiculous. I like the plastic body IEC 309 pin and sleeve stuff but I don't know if any versions have the control wiring in addition to the high current contacts.

lonesouth

The switch box on my power plant was hard wired from the generator outputs, with output lugs for the powered connection. I still have the box, though I'm not sure what I'll ever do with it.

mijoe

This is something new! Is this two 10 KW AMMPS on a trailer) Interesting. I will keep digging further.
That's what I found confusing... the units are both MEP-803a's on the trailer. What are the chances they were swapped out (considering the paint on the Gens does not match the trailer)? Not to say I would not like a pair of AMMPS.. that would be awesome.

Guyfang

Staff member
That's what I found confusing... the units are both MEP-803a's on the trailer. What are the chances they were swapped out (considering the paint on the Gens does not match the trailer)? Not to say I would not like a pair of AMMPS.. that would be awesome.
Even more interesting...........................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks