• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherpa Front mount winch pics

fpchief

Could I get some pics of Sherpa winches mounted? Front only and pics of the mount also. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

davidb56

Are you in a rush? I just got my Sherpa Stallion a few days ago, and am in the process of mounting it. Im putting it under and behind the bumper, with a mount plate 5 inches below the frame, and adding 2 inches on the front, to move the bumper out 2 inches. This will allow me to use some existing mount holes, and the shackle brackets will look stock.

fpchief

Are you in a rush? I just got my Sherpa Stallion a few days ago, and am in the process of mounting it. Im putting it under and behind the bumper, with a mount plate 5 inches below the frame, and adding 2 inches on the front, to move the bumper out 2 inches. This will allow me to use some existing mount holes, and the shackle brackets will look stock.
Nope. Not at all. I look forward to seeing your finished product!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are electric winch mounting pics for the sherpa and warn in the 5 ton mods section

Only difference is that the sherpa has to be mounted to pull against itself. The warns do not and have multiple setups. The sherpa has to sit offset in the frame to spool out in the center

fpchief

There are electric winch mounting pics for the sherpa and warn in the 5 ton mods section

Only difference is that the sherpa has to be mounted to pull against itself. The warns do not and have multiple setups. The sherpa has to sit offset in the frame to spool out in the center
Ok. I know some will cring by me saying this but thinking about taking PTO winch off. A friend really wants it and those Sherpa are pretty appealing being so easy to operate and so less moving parts. Will keep my bumper extensions though.

davidb56

just center your mounting bolts on your plate and your spool will be centered. The drive motor side is longer, so make sure you have a minimum of 13" clearance from the centerline on the motor side. IMG_0048.jpg

davidb56

IMG_0050.jpgI extended my frame to move the bumper out 2 inches. This allows me to use the existing frame mount holes for the bumper and shackles, add a hole for the lower bumper bolt and keep the winch up at the elevation I need it for my use. The biggest PITA is drilling and welding all the spacers needed to allow the winch mount to unbolt without removing the bumper, and getting my snow plow mount in place. I could slap a bunch of heavy washers in between the gaps if I was in a hurry, but I got plenty of time before winter. famous last words..........

Last edited:

davidb56

as you can see, if you extend the bumper out another 2 1/2 inches, you could have the winch 3-4 inches higher up. That doesn't work for my app. It would work fine for recovery though.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. I know some will cring by me saying this but thinking about taking PTO winch off.

Maybe keep the PTO up front and Sherpa in the rear. I like the PTO for how much line it can carry. Also I would want to keep a front mount Sherpa out of harms way better and let the front bumper take the hit not the winch.

Attachments

davidb56

the winch is protected by its 3/8 inch mount plate, and the separate 3/8 inch fairlead mount that is 2 inches in front of the bumper and winch. If you bend it, you have bigger problems. I'll post better pics later. BTW people that are thinking of a rear mount had better consider wire size to run it. On my dump truck, (12vdc)it is cost effective to run a separate battery and isolator next to the winch, rather than heavy welding/battery cables from the front battery. 24vdc does make the wire size smaller/cheaper, than 12vdc on a long run, but you had better do your calculations first.

davidb56

Is that the 25k?
yes. 25K Stallion. it was 1099$ with free shipping. No customs/duty fees are applied. It shipped TNT/Fedex......beware, the fedex driver will whine and you'll have to unload it for him because of the weight. It was packed real good, and if I wasn't home, it would have withstood him shoving it out the truck door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks