• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1983 M35A2C Brake Fluid Disappears

ballencd

My truck has recently started leaking brake fluid but I can't find out where it is coming from. I had a very small leak for a few years but only enough to need more fluid every year or so. For those who are going to yell SAFETY!!!!......I use it in my yard only and I have never had any trouble stopping. Just reservoir would go partial low and I would fill it. I don't see any fluid leaking anywhere. Lately I find that it goes empty after a 5-10 days of use....I only use it to move dirt about 300' and hardly need the brake anyway but do like to be sure I can stop.

When I fill the reservoir the brakes harden up quickly after maybe 20 pumps and seem to work fine. No puddles or wet spots under the truck, at wheels or on axles...???

Any idea where to start looking?

Thanks

BEASTMASTER

my 5 ton has had the disappearing brake fluid since I bought it 17 yrs. ago. I put some in it every couple weeks to keep it from running dry. and I check it before I take it for the usual coffee run on sat and sun. never did find the problem and got tired of looking.

ballencd

Beastmaster: I like your attitude. Ive ignored mine for a long time but it is now needing a fix as it goes to the floor fairly quickly and i'm needing to move some dirt.

98G: If into the air pack where is the fluid going? Just stays in there? Any way to verify this is where it is? I have never had any trouble with the brakes (other then the missing fluid) and have had it for about 20-21 years. Seems like it would fill it up and stop leaking after awhile? : )

m38inmaine

If it is still vented to the air cleaner check your air cleaner, if I recall if the air pack is bad it will vent fluid.

ballencd

I will look and see. The truck has not been modified other then bobbing it and adding a dump kit so it will probably still be connected to the air cleaner if that was the way it was built. If vented there, I would guess, it could get sucked into the engine and burn, without me knowing about it. Thanks for the direction.

ballencd

I'm thinking airpac since I don't see any fluid. I'm not really sure where the airspace is or what it does but I will figure it out. If it was at the MC it would stay full or leak somewhere and be visible, would it not? The brakes work fine until I am out of fluid and when I fill it back up and pump it some they come back with no apparent need to bleed them.

Hopefully I will have some time to look at it soon. Kids and wife are about done with school and summer comes immediately after that. They expect to go on some sort of vacation too! And they keep wanting to eat.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was at the MC it would stay full or leak somewhere and be visible, would it not?

The master cylinder boot can hold a lot of fluid. I check my master boot sometimes by sticking a small flat blade screw driver under the lip on the rod end of the boot and pull down just a bit. If the master is leaking you can get a face full so watch you splash zone. If that's dry then air pack. If the wheel cylinders leak they drip on the inside of the backing plate / drum.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beastmaster: I like your attitude. Ive ignored mine for a long time but it is now needing a fix as it goes to the floor fairly quickly and i'm needing to move some dirt.

98G: If into the air pack where is the fluid going? Just stays in there? Any way to verify this is where it is? I have never had any trouble with the brakes (other then the missing fluid) and have had it for about 20-21 years. Seems like it would fill it up and stop leaking after awhile? : )
Air cleaner or under the hood on the right side just in front of the firewall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks