• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 wrecker King of Obsolete

I acquired a 1976 AM General M816 wrecker and finally got it up and running. with the help of Google and the fellow named red who had detailed info on his wrecker, I have learned a lot. now I have joined this BB to learn more.
does anyone have a part number for the bottom rad hose for the cummins 855???.

thansk

waayfast

Welcome to the site from Salmon River Country, KOO!!. I too have watched over the years, your exploits and adventures. I have learned a lot.

Jim

thanks for the info guys i'll be asking a few more questions about the Green Toy. but I did get a picture to post of the truck running with the crane being spun around for greasing and lubing up.

thanks

yesterday was a relaxing day with doing little things. the original mirrors came in the box of the truck and are in pieces with missing parts. so I quickly put these small truck mirrors on so I could at least see a little bit backing up. I also screwed the grease gun in to the grease nipple hole for the swing table. it will require lots of grease.

thanks
GT mirrors.JPGGT grease gun.JPG

we did not plan on using the Green Toy to remove an engine in a chevy truck but we had to get the job done. my daughter xena only had 15 seconds seat time before doing the lift and did an excellent job while I did the wiggles and jiggles to get the motor free.

thanks

GT motor pull.JPGGT motor pull operator.JPGGT motor pull front.JPG

after 3 weeks of soaking the back out rigger legs in diesel fuel it was great fun getting them to pop out. even with over half the slide tube cut away the fork lift took several good tugs to get the leg to pop out. then it took several good bunts to push the other leg out with the fork. the rust had expanded to seize the out rigger legs in tight and on re-assembly there will be grease nipples and lube holes added so this does not happen again.

thanks
GT leg pull.JPGGT leg push.JPG

I had an excellent sunday relaxing by making upgrades on the Green Toy to make it survive the great white north. I put a cat walk on the side for easy access to the swing crane seat. I should be ok with the D.O.T. people if I hold one end of the tape measure as they check out the truck for width. I think safety is more important then a few inches over width. when I splashed the paint on the cat walk I had to finish up the side of the box to make it look even. the boom holder turn out really good considering cutting angle on a sunday morning when thought is required. at my age lifting the pipes up and down to hook in to the boom is not my cup of tea, maybe when I was younger, lol.

thansk

Attachments

not sure why but when I did the front out riggers they were easy compared to the back ones. I used my mini Hoe and forklift and there was no dramas. when I tried the back ones they would not even wiggle so I had to soak them down with diesel fuel. everything is an adventure with these collectables, lol.

thanks

Attachments

the square plug thing on the motor for the cable on the boom is leaking. not sure what it does but the square plug only turns a 1/4 of a turn. I put gasket goo and it and that only fell off so now a drip tub underneath of the leak. it sure makes a mess every where on the deck of the Green Toy. any ideas on repairs??

thansk

Attachments

5tonpuller

Had the same problem years ago. ( starting to leak again ) There is I think 2 O rings on each of the shafts.
The housings are machined so some times a gasket is not needed. They have a thing called onion paper for that instance.
Shinny magazine paper works great if needed.
Be for you put it back on, make sure it turns free and that the shafts have no to VERY little side travel.
May $.05 worth.

Had the same problem years ago. ( starting to leak again ) There is I think 2 O rings on each of the shafts.
The housings are machined so some times a gasket is not needed. They have a thing called onion paper for that instance.
Shinny magazine paper works great if needed.
Be for you put it back on, make sure it turns free and that the shafts have no to VERY little side travel.
May $.05 worth.
thank you for the info, will keep you posted on my repairs.

thansk

one thing I forgot to take a picture of was the new fuel gauge sending unit I used on the Green Toy. it is the same one I use on all my Black Fleet and here is a couple of pictures of doing the 1938 GMC gas tank this morning. I used my notes and printed pictures from when I did the 1939 chevy last year. the Green Toy was an easy install because the holes for gauge unit is all a standard side and just keep turning the unit until the holes line up. I did not take a picture of the measurements you set the float at but the instructions that come with the Jet gauge kit have a chart to follow.

thansk

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello King! Marty Sacks here. Very good to see you on this site! We did some clutch/transmission trading a few years ago so you could put a GMC 702 V-12 in one of your cats. How did that work out? The wrecker would certainly help with things like that! We wonder how we did what we used to do without it. Much safer and more precisely maneuverable than using a loader to lift heavy parts, change engines, etc.! Enjoy it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks