• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 wrecker King of Obsolete

yesterday it was Canada day in Canada but we were too busy working to enjoy the party. the Green Toy got used to unload this broken grade which to be lifted on the front end so the mold board would clear the trailer deck when being dragged off. on the advise of my lawyer who advertises after midnight on TV, this will be the only picture i can post. all other pictures show the Green Toy being used way beyond the limits of the machine which makes Wile E. Coyote look like a safe operator of equipment, lol. thansk

Attachments

it took almost 2 months to get all the parts to the end of the world. all I wanted to do was change out the alt for a 12v not the 28v. to change the alt I needed to change the belts and if i'm removing one belt I better change them all. to tighten the water pump belt the water pump on a 855 cummins has to be turned which means the seal will leak. if changing the seal I better change the water pump too. then if i'm running a new wire to the starter from the alt I better change the starter to a new one too. started on Friday night of the long weekend thinking I was going to have a fun weekend working on my Green Toy but only to wake up to rain on Saturday morning. oh well 2 more days left in the long weekend.

thansk

Attachments

the work bench came form the mine when they were mining up here. it is heavy and I move it around with the fork lift.

the Green Toy was half stripped and butchered when I got it so I started over with a spool of black wire being colour blind. I keep the wiring simple like on sesame street. 12 volt is cheap for parts and almost 1/2 price compared to a 24 volt starter too.

thansk

we got rained out on Saturday but sunday was a better day. all the new parts got installed on the Green Toy and even the fuel gauge works too.

the old alt which is 28v is free to someone who will use it on their rig and not for re-sale. the person has to pay the postage which to the usa from northern canada will be about $65.00 I'm thinking. I would sooner see someone on a tight budget get a rig up and running then the alt sit on my parts shelve only to be never used. zoom in on the tag to see the details.

this evening I parked the Green Toy beside the Screaming Ford that gave me 15 seconds of fame on Ice Road Truckers, lol

thansk

Attachments

today at +5c i had to use the Green Toy to lift up a lombard sleigh bunk to make it level so i could weld with big rods. the Gods of Gravity make it hard to do up hand welds so it was easier to make it flat. the Green Toy fired right up and preformed well today.

thansk

Attachments

we decided to put the fenders back on the Green Toy for the winter since the money tree did not blossom so we could buy more parts. we heated the shop with the dead money tree so it saved us money on hydro for heat. the truck looks different with the fenders on but now the block heater on the 855 cummins will work a little better being protected from the wind.

next we lifted up the Linn Tractor so I could trim up the ski rods so it steers better or easier.

thansk

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a Linn tractor?(pics 3&4)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy in Copenhagen NY whose family has one on their farm. They used to take it to some local shows a few decades back. They were popular in the Adirondacks and surrounding areas. Some of our local towns used them with road plows way back. There is one that was used for logging, at the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain lake NY. http://lakeshoreimages.com/images467/_ADS9561.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks