• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is an M548 Really Amphibious?

Terra1936

I cannot find a single photo of a M548 swimming? The operators manual says to keep it away from water? Every site describes it as amphibious? Anyone with real experience or photos? Thanks!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a DVD copy of an early 1960s Army film where they test various vehicles, including an M548. The video includes the M548, a Gama Goat, and an M656 8x8 all swimming in a lake. I'll see if I can dig it out and get the title, I imagine it is on the interweb somewhere.

Cheers

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a video of my old M548A1 "swimming" (video taken by the previous owner), although I cannot locate it. With that said, the A1s were not supposed to do so as they had one of the bilge pumps deleted (the vehicle has two). The older M548s had two bilge pumps. Apparently, one pump won't keep up for very long with the water seeping in so the swimming had better be quick! Still, I never wanted to swim the vehicles I had...to expensive to possibly sink.

Guyfang

Staff member
We had a variant of the M548, that was a HAWK Missile transporter, Launcher. 10 bilge pumps would not have kept it afloat, do to the extra weight.

Towards the end of this clip, about 2.16 minuets, is a shot of one going over a Army floating bridge. Looks like early 70's, probable REFORGER here in Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYaFo6G_4w

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the one up here swam for a short time before it sunk on a swollen river. I do remember de watering the engine.
That was the one that I had a video of swimming! :grin: It entered at a fairly steep angle as I recall (which is not what is recommended), water splashed up the windshield, and then the vehicle floated and propelled itself across a small body of water. It, then, climbed up the far bank.

Terra1936

That was the one that I had a video of swimming! :grin: It entered at a fairly steep angle as I recall (which is not what is recommended), water splashed up the windshield, and then the vehicle floated and propelled itself across a small body of water. It, then, climbed up the far bank.
Seems to be like Big Foot. Everyone has seen but no real photos! :-D

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The knuckle heads did not realize the bilge pumps only run when the engine is running.
Thanks @SCSG-G4

Who says you should READ THE TM's? Like maybe in the -10 where it tells you that the bilge pumps operate only when the engine is running? Was that important?

CRITICAL INFORMATION can be found in those crusty old books...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks