• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Dually

oleblue84

recently purchased a dually, going through it making it more road worthy. I've replaced the front springs with the tough country 2 inch HD springs.... gonna go with 1.5 inch block in rear so I can keep the overloads and sway bar. I'm trying to figure out what tires too run. has 245/75/16s now but they look small. thought about running 285s with spacers but I don't like spacers and would loose load cap.... could run the 255/85s but they are hard to find if I have a tire issue on the road and cost. really leaning towards the 235/85 in the rear and a 265 in the front which are the same height for the most part, the 265 in the front would provide more width. need Ideas guys.... pictures of yall's set ups would be awesome!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
245/75R16 Tires. 245/75R16 tires have a diameter of 30.5", a section width of 9.6", and a wheel diameter of 16". The circumference is 95.7" and they have 662 revolutions per mile. Generally they are approved to be mounted on 6.5-8" wide wheels.

235/85R16 tires have a diameter of 31.7", a section width of 9.3", and a wheel diameter of 16". The circumference is 99.6" and they have 636 revolutions per mile. Generally they are approved to be mounted on 6-7.5" wide wheels.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
There is nothing wrong with using spacers. What are you going to use the truck for? Street driving, 90% of the time. A little hauling or towing, or just using as a truck to drive or use when needed. Tread design you should consider for what the truck will be used for. You can buy a deep mud tread, but if you are driving most of the time on the street then all that rubber just scrubs off for little gain, burns more fuel, except it looks kool.

oleblue84

no factory spacers, I believe I may run the 235/85/16s in the rear and a 265 in the front. keep a 235/85 spare. wold love a 33 but then I start loosing pounds I can haul due to spacer to run a 285. and 255s are just too hard to find

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they look small once you lift it a little. I don't believe that a quality steel spacer will reduce your load capacity but it is something we all have to consider before we use them.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
oleblue84
Need to enter a State in your location profile.
There is more than one Raleigh in the US

Kremlin

Hi, I think this may good thread to jump on...I have a M1028 with a single tire rear axle...just acquired from the USACE who put a flat bed on it and an EZ Dumper Dump insert...what kind of chore would it be to slap on extra rims and wheels to make it dual to better distribute loads for our local farm jobs...? I've read threads about having to redo the brakes and hubs and even the front ends...any advice? Though it sounded like an easy idea...is it?

oleblue84

change out to the dual hubs and brakes is the safest and only way I would go. you would just need to change rear. it may be better to just get wider rims and tires

cucvrus

Credit given to the Goodyear Duratracs as they are well deserved. They are the best on road/off road traction tires I have ever bought and used in all my life. They wear well and perform well on and off road. They get great mileage. A CUCV is NOT a vehicle to check tire mileage on. It chews tires up. All the sets of Duratracs I have used wore evenly and I handed them down to other trucks before they were scrap and they performed well until the steel cords were showing from being used in a stone lot. The LT235/85R16 is the standard tire I purchase for all on ground trucks. Now the newer trucks are going to 17" and my 2019 has 18" Goodyear Duratrac's. I do like the Goodyear MTR Kevlar but that is not as mileage friendly. Have a Great Weekend. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks