• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 Removing the 5th wheel hitch- any suggestions getting the nuts off bolts?

Reworked LMTV

Hi Guys,
I finally getting to take the 5th wheel off to start my RV conversion. Is there anything special to these nuts or bolts? I'm using a HF 1" drive air tool. Metric or SAE? Hard to tell with paint on them : ) They seem to fight being loosened. Guess I should not be surprised.

Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Heat em up. Or Long breaker bar. 3/4" should do it with a long pipe. Also spray them with deep creep by seafoam. I would just take the torch and cut the things rather than screwing around with an impact

If you do not have a torch check craigslist for tanks. #3s should do you fine or buy the small setup from harbor freight or northern tool. Used tanks and a good torch will run $500 for everything if you use a torch often

coachgeo

Huck bolts. I grind them off.
there is a video somewhere of a fellow doing this... cut half to 3/4 thru with cut off wheel and then smacked it sideways with a small sledge and it broke right off cleanly. This method should create less damage to the part being removed. Granted somethings you can't get into with a cut off wheel or sawzall for that matter. Kudo's to Will for not doing it with torch.... makes his used products a cut above (ar ar ar ar.... pardon the pun)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks