• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932.... is A2 really worth it?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I bought a 934 with the NHC250.. Loved it.
. no major issues... Sure it's a bit slow with 1100s but the duals add a ton of stability....

Now, I had an on the job injury, fighting for disability, and am homeless living in the 934, and tow barring my M1031... it's funny how life works out like that sometimes I guess...

The biggest issue that I'm having, is the length of the m934 and the tow bar, and the m1031, it's just way too long.

It won't fit in a regular parking spot, and while the M934 by itself will fit in a dual parking spot, or a pull through spot it someone call it, it's still pretty long.

Being that I'm homeless, and I'm kind of driving around, I'm relying on relatively small parking spaces, and the kindness of businesses to let me park in their parking lots overnight. Very few businesses or people want me parking what's essentially the length of a tractor-trailer in their parking, taking up eight spots.

Now, I was thinking, I need to tow my m1031, because I can't really daily drive my 934, because of the fuel mileage. So I would ask someone to park my truck there for the day, unhitch my cucv and drive it to whatever appointment or whatever is necessary.

Now, I've been thinking. I've heard that the A2s get significantly better mileage. Especially the tractors. There are people claiming 12 miles per gallon, in perfect conditions. I don't expect perfect conditions, but I'm averaging about 5 miles per gallon with the nhc250. If I could even get 8 or maybe even 10 , that would be enough for me to ditch my m1031, because my m1031 is only getting 12 miles to the gallon.

So, my logic was, if I got a 932a2 with an M109 box on the back, I'd lose a couple feet of living space over the 934, but I would almost double my mileage. Then I could get rid of my m1031, and daily Drive the 932.

I would feel, and this is where group knowledge comes into play, that if I got a 932 with the nhc250, I might see an increase of one or two mile per gallon, but not enough to get rid of the M1031. But, being that the 932 is 8 feet shorter than the m934, it would be less of an issue, but still too long to park and it regular pull through parking spot.

I don't want ctis, although I do like the idea of being able to air up and air down, I would probably do so with a manual system rather than an automatic system. I've heard nothing but issues with leaking O-rings and all sorts of crazy fun stuff.

I was actually thinking about going with the 1200/20 Stryker tires, and dualling those up.. which I absolutely wanted to do on the 934 because of the additional stability, but would that really be necessary on a 932 because of the shorter wheelbase?

I have access to a 932 with an nhc250, for a very attractive price, less than 10 grand and he has an M109 'radio box' already. Currently I could probably sell my 934 for 10k or more.

I also know that the A2s tend to go for a premium, with the last couple ones on GP going for 10k+ at auction, with unknown issues..

So, is the A2 really be worth the price increase? I'm thinking that almost double the mileage is a pretty big factor. But, if I'm saving 4 or 5 grand, that's a ton of fuel. Even at $3.50 a gallon, that's more than 1000 gallons of fuel... lol.

Are the claims of the A2 getting that much better gas mileage actually true? Can the A2 handle WMO?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Around town the mileage wont be that much difference. a 932a2 is a rare bird. Cheaper to buy a 931a2 and just add the winch later. The around town in an 8.3 lugging stop light to stop light will eat fuel. Doesnt matter what you are in really. If you are not going to work it add a turbo to the NHC250 and give it some more air and it should be fine to putt putt around in.

Around town the 1078s are pretty handy being that they can get in parking spots on the front row at Walmart. Picking one up at auction would be under 6. Still big enough to put a Quadcomm box in the back of it.

It's all about what you can afford and are comfortable in. I can put my 923 anywhere.

Can you not find a monthly parking like at a koa or something for the 934 and just drive the cucv?

This 931 is what you have in mind. Ran about 6500 for this one in the southeast. Actually traded a m1028 for it.

Attachments

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around town the mileage wont be that much difference. a 932a2 is a rare bird. Cheaper to buy a 931a2 and just add the winch later. The around town in an 8.3 lugging stop light to stop light will eat fuel. Doesnt matter what you are in really. If you are not going to work it add a turbo to the NHC250 and give it some more air and it should be fine to putt putt around in.

Around town the 1078s are pretty handy being that they can get in parking spots on the front row at Walmart. Picking one up at auction would be under 6. Still big enough to put a Quadcomm box in the back of it.

It's all about what you can afford and are comfortable in. I can put my 923 anywhere.

Can you not find a monthly parking like at a koa or something for the 934 and just drive the cucv?

This 931 is what you have in mind. Ran about 6500 for this one in the southeast. Actually traded a m1028 for it.
He also has a fmtv tractor, but I heard those engines are crap, and being 6'2" and 450lbs...I don't think I can fit in one.. hahah... but yes... on the pic you posted..

I'm concerned about long term reliability and mileage.. would the A2 actually get 10 MPG @ 55 on highway? which is the more reliable engine?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
He also has a fmtv tractor, but I heard those engines are crap, and being 6'2" and 450lbs...I don't think I can fit in one.. hahah... but yes... on the pic you posted..

I'm concerned about long term reliability and mileage.. would the A2 actually get 10 MPG @ 55 on highway? which is the more reliable engine?
It depends on the engine history and how it is treated and used.

You can fit in an LMTV better than you can a m939. Even with my air ride and pushback the LMTV is roomier than a 5 ton. I have to drive a deuce or 809 series with the door open.

Sit in his and see what you think.

3116 is in the same size class as a 8.3L in the A2s. The 3116s dont like to be abused. No engine does really.

Nomadic

Sorry to hear about your job injury. Can you stay out of the city or do you need to be close by for dr visits? I went homeless there years ago, still am but in a different area. What worked for me is staying out of the city. People are probably using your truck as an excuse to move you on unless you mean that people managing overnight parking programs are telling you that. Saving money on fuel is good, but if your truck is reliable I'd just keep adding fuel.

There is a lot of camping in the PNW. Beautiful country out there. Insane, actually. The Olympics is awesome, the Hoh rain forest, Crescent lake, Reiner, Cascades, Mount Everest, so many places. If you need to stay near civilization, look at places like Snoqualmie. You can disperse camp in certain areas up there and it won't cost a dime. With your rig, you could just find a secluded spot, shut off the truck and start camping. Check the National Forest Service for dispersed camping areas. There is an office at the summit of Snoqualmie Pass. All you need to do is ask for where it is permitted and they will show you. Don't mention your rig and check for fire regulations since there are drought conditions up there now (so hard to believe).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks