• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Start No Fuel Troubleshooting

Weller

So last week I was cleaning out my HMMWV (hadn't started it since 1st of month) and found a rats nest in the radiator box by the fan. Cleaned everything with compressed air and vacuum and went to start up vehicle. No go. Thought wire may have been chewed so ran through visually on all I could see. Wiring looked good.

Had chance to work on it today so opened the hood to a new nest, pulled this one by hand.

Same starting issue. No start but cranks fine (like air in the lines).

Opened drain valve to purge air from fuel filter. Steady flow when cranking starter.

Cracked first injector line on left side and barely a dribble came out when cranking starter.

Replaced line and removed return hose on injector pump. No fuel coming from the metal return line and steady dribble from the tube while attempting to start.

Solenoid clicks, voltage to lead 54a was good, glow plugs and fuel filter about 3 months old.

Was getting dark and I was standing calmly thinking if pump could have gotten clogged when the rat comes up to jump in the fan box looking for the nest I removed.

Set a trap and will check more fuel related stuff tomorrow.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No fuel from return nipple means no fuel to head...even though your solenoid is clicking doesn’t mean it’s opening the fuel gate. Bad fuel is the number one reason these pumps get clogged or grenade internally.

Weller

Thanks, looks like pump is clogged, can't blame that on the rats. :)

Removed one of the fuel lines at the pump and attempted a start, not even a dribble came out.

Rechecked fuel at filter/separator, it is clean.

Last time I changed filter it was nasty so I'm thinking enough bad fuel made it through and she just hasn't fully clogged up until now.

Remove pump and attempt to clean?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove inlet to fuel filter, crank..fuel from pump?
remove outlet on filter, crank...fuel getting to injection pump?
If yes, then IJ pump bad.

Weller

Thanks, that was helpful.

20190525_125050.jpg

Inlet hose (from IP) to bottle filled fairly quick.
Outlet on fuel filter flows fairly quick.

Yes and Yes. Dang. Pump coming off.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power Service diesel additive is endorsed by Cummins now and I have endorsed it longer than them. I use it in all my tractors and pickups in EVERY TANK. It is your injectors and pumps and tanks best friend. I also do not use bio diesel. It does not store well.

Seafoam is also good at cleaning things up and keeping them clean. It is easier to run a good additive all the time than to work on a fuel system after it has gummed up. Works with gas too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks