• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought this...burma jeep

bull

First, I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong spot. Please move it if there is a better spot for it.

My previous mv experience is limited to a m37, a m35a2c, a m35a3, and a m818, but now I have bought this 1943 ford GTB bomb service truck with single rear wheels and without winch.

Before I get into the details of the truck, my question is this. As I am, unfortunately, currently in short supply of bombs, my need for a truck to service them is fairly low:-D So, if I keep the truck, I am considering modding it into something similar to the ford GLJ prototype. Is there a reason that I should not modify this particular GTB due to it being rare or more valuable than other variants?

The specifics of the truck are, as mentioned above, 1943 Ford GTB bomb service truck, with single rear wheels (someone has put dual wheels on it, but it is a single wheel truck with single fenders), and without winch. It appears to be a super solid truck, with zero rust issues and only a few small dents. It starts and runs good. The trans is making a bit of noise, a bad bearing I think, the high/low shift linkage is broke at the outside of the tcase, and it needs a bit of brake work, otherwise it is good to go mechanically. It is missing the battery box cover, spare tire carrier, and I dont think my passenger seat is original, otherwise I believe it is almost 100% complete.

The reason I ask the question is that me and google have been unable to find a picture of a restored single wheel bomb service truck, while there seem to be plenty of dual wheel service trucks and cargo trucks. i am not sure if it's because the single wheel truck is rarer or just not as desirable. I dont think I have a million dollar truck or anything, I just dont want to mod it if it should be kept original and there are better choices for modifying. Also what are these things worth? I had no idea what I should have offered the guy for it.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GTB trucks of all variants are rare, production numbers were around 10,000 if I recall. Sure if the bomb hoist were missing I would say make a prototype clone. But yours is a survivor and to deconstruct it is kinda not what I would do. That hoist has to be one of the most useful features ever installed on a military truck.

bull

I agree the hoist is cool, but it seems a foot or so too low for some of the things I would do with it. Motor pulling and what not. I could be wrong, just eyeballing it.

dmetalmiki

I have never in my many days ever seen a truck like that.
I would therefore most certainly bring it back to fully original.
Since you did not (seem to) have paid too much for it. You will be a winner for sure when it is restored.

CMPPhil

I paid $1750.00. I have no idea if that was too much :shrugs:
Hi Bull

Simple answer you got a rare bird for a bargain price, from the photos you have got a truck that is a rare example of the complete and nearly original truck. Like many, if not most, oh heck all, trucks of WWII is slow. But I think you can have a lot of fun with it, and you get a choice of color Navy gray or Army OD.

Back to the price I've paid more (don't tell my wife) for trucks farless complete and in non running condition and that you needed a tetnus shot before working on all the rust.

Cheers Phil

CMPPhil

Hi Bull

Well its your truck so it's your choice.

I've got three truck all three rather rare in the US, all Canadian Military Pattern, the first a HUP was extremely complete and running when I got it I've kept that one as original as possible including totally stock drive train, the second had no rear body so it got what is called "locally supplied body " and eventually a much more powerful engine not much faster but doesn't slow down on hills as much, the third was a rust bucket bought as a parts truck but you can probably guess it has been restored as well now has an M35 dropside body that has been narrowed 10" to fit the frame.

Do I regret keep the 1st one stock not a bit, it is great fun having a truck that is original, and unique. Over 40 years I've owned and driven it, I've learn about the history of the CMPs and by luck the actual history of my particular truck. While building your truck up to be GLJ clone would would be fun and represent a unique Historic Military Vehicle, the truck you have is so complete it can be original and unigue.

If you do go the route of putting a cargo body on it, take lots of photos tag all the parts (paint pens) keep cutting and drilling to a minimum. That way you can preserve value of truck and allow it to be put back to a complete bomb truck.

If your curious about the the fun I've take a look around my web page www.canadianmilitarypattern.com

Oh by the way off to do a Memorial Day parade tomorrow in the HUP.

Cheers Phil

Jeff Lakaszcyck

I think the single rear wheel GTB's are pretty rare. I only have seen photos of one other one. It was owned by the late Kevin Kronlund. I don't know where it is now.

You truck is also appears very complete. I would have a hard time modifying it. I think it is rare enough to restore back to original. There are still a number of GTB's around with no rear body or other missing parts that would be better candidates for the pickup conversion.

Ford 1943 GTB bomb & cargo trucks Kevin Kronlund.jpgFord 1943 GTB bomb truck USN Kevin Kronlund.jpg

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Here's a another single rear wheel GTB, maybe. I would say this is a perfect candidate for modification, except that someone has already modified it beyond all reasonable standards. Rube Goldberg on a 5 day drunk, maybe.

IMG_3265.jpgIMG_3276.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jeff. That confirmed that my passenger seat is not original.
We have a bomb carrier version in a storage yard in town that looks pretty complete. It still has the NAVY markings on the hood and was probably used here at the munitions depot during WW2. Got some errands to run so I'll stop and take some pics.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2347.jpgDSCF2348.jpgDSCF2349.jpgDSCF2350.jpgDSCF2351.jpgDSCF2352.jpgDSCF2353.jpgDSCF2354.jpg Bull, this bomb carrier has been in this storage yard for probably 30+ years. I will assume the yard is run by a hoarder as vehicles come in but never go out. It looks as though someone tried to use plywood and 2X4s to make it a closed cab. The engine and drivetrain are complete as is the hoist. The only other MV in the yard is a fairly clean M37 with a home made tow rig installed.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks