• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice after Injection Pump rebuild

TXMIDGUFFREY

1971 M35a2, bought it knowing there was a problem with the IP/HH
Calling all mechanical experts out there.... I just rebuilt my IP, having had to replace the Hydraulic Head. I cleaned and de-rusted the fuel tank, flushed all fuel lines, replaced all filters and cleaned/blew out all injector lines.
Question..... Do I need to bleed the air out of the injector lines before tightening them into the injectors? Or will the air simply be forced out by the fuel pressure once the IP is pumping?

fpchief

Calling all mechanical experts out there.... I just rebuilt my IP, having had to replace the Hydraulic Head. I cleaned and de-rusted the fuel tank, flushed all fuel lines, replaced all filters and cleaned/blew out all injector lines.
Question..... Do I need to bleed the air out of the injector lines before tightening them into the injectors? Or will the air simply be forced out by the fuel pressure once the IP is pumping?
Having just had everything off myself...as with every other time I just flip on battery, purge the air at the secondary filters and fire it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No need to bleed air out of high pressure lines. Once in a while I've found ether (tiny bit) is needed to get her to fire the first time, but is fine after that.

fpchief

I am sure you know what you are doing however I have to ask...are you sure the HH is installed correctly with the plunger and all? Really common for people to not install the shut down on the plunger correctly and it goes to full throttle and detonate. My friend did it the other day. Just a simple matter of paying attention and knowing what you are doing. I hope I had the part names correct.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FloridaAKM

Bleed your filter canisters & you will be good to go. The high pressure lines after the HH will bleed themselves. Make sure the mushroom cap is off & you have a board to kill the intake air incase she tries to run away. It's cheap insurance in case. Good luck!

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Look on the drivers side back of the air cleaner. Is the big hose there that goes to the air compressor?
Most got "lost someplace". Engine will run and has capability to run away sucking air from that inlet.
You do not even want to read the horror stories of multi engines that ran away broke failed to junk even when the main air goesintah was blocked off.
Get yourself a large CO2 fire extinguisher and be ready.

This hose air cleaner to compressor is easy to delete and is NOT called out real good in the TM's.
All multi fuel owners should inspect renew replace that hose., the compressor will thank you.

It is just a hose to the air compressor but the "outlet" on the air cleaner is big enough that the engine will suck enough air thru there to over run
See TM 9-2320-361-20 part #6 + 2,3
See TM 9-2320361-24-2 Work package WP 0385 00
See air cleaner hose TM-2320-361-24-1 WP0053 00 and WP 0054 00

Lowes and HD have nylon clear reinforced hose to fit it for cheap.
Phooey, I can't find my photos right now.

FloridaAKM

Both of my Deuces have 1" red Goodyear hose connecting the air cleaner to the air compressor just for this reason. It also keeps the road dust out of my air compressor. If I add a riser to the intake, then it also increases the water level that the truck can operate in safely.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Here is a picture of the red hose20190501_194056.jpg from the air cleaner to the air compressor. The blue hose is silicone heater hose that replaced the original that had served its useful lifespan. This is on the '85 Deuce.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks