• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member xm211

Lowell Dean

Have 52 xm211 doing a repower and have a good running 302 engine I no longer need. Looking to possible trade for two speed transfer case and a winch. That will fit in my truck. This is not a wife approved project !! Drove in shop for removal had bad transmission reason of removable. Will try to add pictures if I did this wrong sorry. The first picture was the start of the TRUCK WIFE hate issue !!

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Looks to me that you have a little leverage with the young one. Family Quality time, I am sure that you can find a place to have a Motor Pool close by. Welcome, and for me the front on the 211 is cool.

Was that a hardtop in the first picture?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well as for the wife I am sure some trading can be done.:driver:

Wondering if that already happened, in the first pic the truck is posed up loud n proud on a golf course-esq lawn in front of a very nice upscale home, then in all the other pics the truck is at a shed out in the sticks ... :eek:

Lowell Dean

I’m assuming the fire department that turned it into a water tanker made the roof. They did an ok job it saved the interior it it made it too tall to fit in front part of my shop. Was easy to remove. She is solid but not not much to look at at this time.

Lowell Dean

Nah. I almost got her broke in !!!! It went front honey I’m looking at a truck and then 3 hours later while she at work was sitting in my driveway! That’s been 5 years ago. But it still gets blood pressure up a little. !!!!!

Lowell Dean

Golf course?? Oh you mean Dandelion Fields ??? And yes engine transmission ect is swapped waiting on my driveshaft to be made the owner of the drive shaft shop really having to make a one of a kind for it. Had him stumped for a while but should be done next week.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's hear more about your powertrain swap, and see some pics of what you have going on under there, inquiring minds want to know ...

Lowell Dean

Ok but remember you asked. Is not a common swap. 4.7 Toyota v8 drive line with high low transfercase . I think I can hear ever body roll there eyes and slap there head saying no!!!! But. That is ok Currently moving front motor mounts back about six inches. Drilling rivets out and drilling new holes. Can get better pictures when I get back to it but here is a couple I took. Hope I do not get kicked off the sight for swap!! Every one seems to have their go to saying so here is one of mine. problems are only problems when you make them a problem otherwise it is s a solution!

Attachments

Last edited:

Lowell Dean

The V8 transmission and transfer case are going in front of the original transfer case ?
Yes is a much tighter fit than what I was expecting but is going well! Waiting on my driveshaft to be finished.At a whopping 12 1/4 inches Had the owner stumped and talking to himself a little but he found the yokes we needed. Working on front mounts now. The front link that’s goes the top of differential was-the cause of most issues.

With the m211 having shackles at each end of the front spring removing one set of them the torque rods would not be needed . many trucks have the shackle in the rear like many of the 5 tons the CCKW has the shackles in the front . best of luck with your build.

Lowell Dean

With the m211 having shackles at each end of the front spring removing one set of them the torque rods would not be needed . many trucks have the shackle in the rear like many of the 5 tons the CCKW has the shackles in the front . best of luck with your build.
Thanks for the info! Had to go look at the front shackles and I see that as being an option. Thanks again

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where in Iowa are you located?
The easiest way to deal with the torque rod is to remove the top one. You will need to make one set of shackles solid. I would make the front shackles the fixed spring mount. They are just plain easier to get at. If you remove any of the 3 torque rods without solidly mounting one end of the springs you will have an axle that rotates around the end of the remaining torque rods.
Nice project. Awaiting pictures and frequent updates!

Lowell Dean

I’m about an hour south of Des Moines. I’m debating the shackle change. I can see the up side of getting rid of upper torque rod. Thanks for the support!! Still waiting of drive shaft before i go much farther with mounts. Would not like to do that twice. It been two weeks an don’t want to bug the builder but I might have too.??

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you changing out your transfer case? I don't think you can do that and use the stock axles.

Lowell Dean

No I am using original transfer case but adding another transfer case with high low ranges in front of of original one.

gentrysgarage

The easiest way to deal with the torque rod is to remove the top one. You will need to make one set of shackles solid. I would make the front shackles the fixed spring mount. They are just plain easier to get at. If you remove any of the 3 torque rods without solidly mounting one end of the springs you will have an axle that rotates around the end of the remaining torque rods.

Welcome! I am also repowering my M135.
I am making my front shackles fixed on my mine also. You could make the rear fixed but it was found that while it will articulate better for rock crawling the highway speed stability suffers ...spent waaaayyyy too much time on Pirate4x4.com! LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks