• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mud flap

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the mud flap and regulations around the country, I realize it's too short. Now, I don't expect I'd get pulled over...unless a cop was behind me and a rock flew into their windshield.

So, the mud guards behind my wheels are 21" wide, which appears to be a non-standard size in the truck world. To be more in line with the various laws around the country, I figure 24" long (they're 12" now) should do the trick and the holder they bolt into is 3/8" wide.

Does anyone have a source for these have people just gone with 20" or cut down 24"?

If you want to read the various laws... https://blog.uscargocontrol.com/semi-truck-mud-flap-laws-state-state/

24" won't quite make me legal everywhere (maybe), but it's close enough for me as 24" is a common length.

Also, I'm not sure semi-truck laws apply to this truck or not, but I could see it going that way if I got pulled over.

I should note that I have found some mud flaps that are listed as 21" w x 24" l, but that the price is in the $300 range for the pair and I find this unacceptable to myself.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

I cut 1/4" thick rubber re-enforced mat which I cut to a decent size and fit with 'Swinging hinges' to me trucks.
The diamond T has no flaps.
But I like them and think it looks better, so that gets the same fitments as well. (Though larger).

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll head to the local hardware store, see what they have for heavy rubber, buy a piece 21" x 48" and cut it in half.

Scrounger

After reading the article you linked to it left me with some questions. All the DOT cops in Maryland that I have had the “pleasure” of interacting with only required the mud flaps to extend past the rear axle. In other words when looking at the rear of the vehicle the upper half of the tire was covered. And it was the same everywhere I ran to, mostly Mid-Atlantic states.

Now if you wish to replace or extend what is on your vehicle, I would suggest going to the local big truck parts and or repair place. Most of them carry large mud flaps of varying sizes. You may have to cut them to size. Most of the shops around here, if they charge, it is nominal.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My mud flaps are 19" off the ground. Some of the states call for as low as 6".

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought several rolls of belting (5/16x21x101”) from SS member gotaluvit at Findlay for a very reasonable price. I’m not sure if he would or be practical to ship them though?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks