• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 SWIMMING pool

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I’m having a fun but perhaps a disastrous idea. Going to be throwing a small get together this summer, and have seen countless folks create “pick up truck swimming pools” by laying a tarp in the bed and filling it with water. I’m probably going to get blasted on this one but I need some advise on pulling it off!

Crunching some numbers, a 14’ long x 7’ wide x 4’ tall cargo bed would yield about 3000 gallons of water weighing in at 25,000 pounds give or take in the bed plus passengers; if my math is correct

Considering the truck would be stationary on solid ground, “could” or rather WOULD the truck be capable of holding up to that weight for a week? Would it cause any damage? Would the bedsides hold the weight? What about the troop seats?
Any constructive criticism is appreciated, and safety is first on this project

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are we invited?

If so........ and your clay soils drain well, could you block the frame and keep the suspension from taking the load? You wouldn't need to do more than block it at its current stance to keep the weight off the springs. You obviously can't drain the water where the truck sits unless you're on high ground and well drained. Is that 923 around 30,000lbs? 55,000 lbs would sink a foot a year at my place but those red Georgia soils have me buffaloed. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/ga/soils/?cid=nrcs144p2_021874

If we're not invited then you'll have a lot less to worry about. Inviting 1.6 million pounds of Steel Soldiers to your truck pool could be a sinker.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Are we invited?

If so........ and your clay soils drain well, could you block the frame and keep the suspension from taking the load? You wouldn't need to do more than block it at its current stance to keep the weight off the springs. You obviously can't drain the water where the truck sits unless you're on high ground and well drained. Is that 923 around 30,000lbs? 55,000 lbs would sink a foot a year at my place but those red Georgia soils have me buffaloed. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/ga/soils/?cid=nrcs144p2_021874

If we're not invited then you'll have a lot less to worry about. Inviting 1.6 million pounds of Steel Soldiers to your truck pool could be a sinker.
Anyone willing to make the drive or flight is welcome by me! Last time I had the truck on the scales with a full tank it weighed in at 22,500

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It wont like it. I had 2 923s with dirt in them for a week and it rained for a week. The axles pigeon toed bad. Plus you will want to add a good bit of chlorine to keep the green stuff down for a week. Plus with then sun going thru the water that bed will prob make it a hot tub

74M35A2

My guess would be it would be fine. They are rated for 10 tons on-road. I’d hold the center of the drop sides together with a large ratchet strap, and do it, all day long. Buddy did it with an M35a2 and it was fine.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep the depth to the height of the drop sides. The side racking will not hold 4' of water.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep the depth at the level of the sides, still a lot of water to cool off in. To drain, you'll have to put a hole in the liner/tarp. DO NOT drop the gate or sides, someone will be hurt.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t think the truck will care about 25k on it. I routinely leave 12-13ton on mine, days on end, no ill effects that I know of so far. I think the sides will handle it up to the level of the top of the tailgate, after that the sides will likely need support.

DO NOT TRAVEL WITH PASSENGERS IN THE BED!!! That is one of the scariest things I’ve ever done when I was a kid, almost washed a bunch of my friends over the tailgate of a pickup truck just rolling through a stop from the way home from the water tower, and I was being as gentle as possible to avoid loosing water. Had my priority’s all screwed up on that one...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks