• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a At what point do you just trust these things???

Tem

Thanks in advanced for any comments and help!

I'll give a bit of back story and then get to the generator below. I bought an MEP-003a about 1 1/2 years ago and while I've given it a few test runs, I've never really needed it and about 10 hours is the longest I've run it. Saturday night a couple small tornados passed through town and knocked out power for us and about 25% of our small town.

First off I'll mention that having a tornado shelter in the midwest is a HUGE plus. While our friends were hiding in closets and bathrooms fearful for there lives and the safety of their families, I was concerned that I hadn't put more time into finishing the storm shelter. It's bones are there and I'm not worried about getting blown away, but the inside is a work in progress. It has now been moved up pretty high on the priority list to finish it off as it would have been nicer to have it done. Second I'm super glad I have a generator that can run most out house. It's been running MOSTLY non-stop for over 30 hours now. The food in the fridge and freezers is good, the house is cool, the water is hot, laundry continues to be done, and we've eaten meals as if we had city power.

The generator has shut off 3 times and thanks to the TMs, others with similar problems that have posted online, tinkering, and some good old fashion luck I've been able to get it back online. While I do enjoy working on it I don't enjoy the unpredictability of it and I certainly wouldn't feel good about leaving my wife at home depending on it. I'm super sensitive to any surges and I'm continually worried it's going shut off again and not start back up.

I don't know what has caused it to stop running and since it's a work in progress and I'm going off not much sleep it's hard to remember what I've done and in what order.

Here's where I'm at with it:

1) The starter cut off plunger does not extend to contact the points. I'm currently bypassing this by jumping the wires together then removing the jumper once it's started. I learned that if you leave the jumper in place voltage is high (over 260 volts) and it runs at about 50 hertz. Without touching anything once the jumper is removed it runs at 240 volts and 60 hertz.

2) The shutters don't open. I've noticed this in the past but most the work I've done with the generator has been in the winter and from what I've read the shutter won't open much when it's cold. Now that it's summer I would expect them to open. Upon closer inspection, the linkage from the thermo power unit to the shutters is missing. I've manually opened the shutters and am just running the unit with them full open. IF THIS IS BAD PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN STOP DOING THAT. I'm running it with them open as I believe I may have over heated the unit one of the times. By time I found the information that the over temp switch is normally closed and I checked it, it was closed and when I attempted to restart the unit it started fine.

3) The generator charging system does not work. I currently have the battery maintainer plugged into the 120 port on the front and charging the batteries. With the maintainer off, my batteries were at 23.96 volts and with the 4 amp maintainer on, voltage was 24.4. I'd like to see it higher, but at least I know more is going in than coming out.

The latest time it stopped on me I happened to be outside. I was going to refuel and head to bed. While outside I heard it shut off.... very abruptly and was clearly shut off by it's self. Over temp sensor closed, starter cut off open and was still just getting a "click" when attempting to start it. (In the past I've had trouble shutting the unit off. I could turn the main switch to off, pull the breaker on the panel off, disconnect the fuel pumps, disconnect the battery, and it would just kept running. I determined that problem was the fuel cut off solenoid was extending, but not far enough to actually cut off the fuel. Adjusted that and it now shuts off better than it ever has. Since it continued running with everything disconnected I figured the gen didn't need batteries to run, just to start it. I've since put it together why it continued to run (fuel cut off out of adjustment) and realized that it NEEDS batteries to run....

I noticed the batteries were each at about 9.5 volts after this last shut off. I knew that wouldn't be enough to start it once I figured out why it wasn't running so I went and got my battery charger and a smaller generator and put a quick charge on them. Impatiently while they were charging I rounded up two other batteries and attempted a start and it fired right up. I figured I'd remove those batteries and put them back where they came from while the MEPs batteries continued to charge. As soon as I disconnected the first battery the gen quickly shut off. So that's how I learned it needs batteries to run.

4) At one point probably about 20 hours into this I got a bit more aggressive with the load I was putting on it. Initially I was keeping the load under 50% and when the AC unit was off it hardly had any load on it all. I pushed the unit harder and got it to about 75% continuous and would surge higher as larger draws would come on. Shortly (maybe 30 minutes) after running it harder the unit bogged down and almost shut off. I removed all load and it got back up to 1800 rpm. It could handle a small load (maybe 5 amps) but anything more and it would bog down and run a slow rpm. I topped it off (the tank was about 1/3-1/2 full) and ran diesel through the fuel filters until it came out clean. It seems to be doing good again. I've kept the load to less than 50% as I'd rather have it running there than push it and have it not run at all.
When I first got the unit I it had some contaminated fuel and there was mold / fungus growing on the screen at the bottom of the sleeve for the fuel tank. I thought I had cleaned that and taken care of it, but it is back and that screen is completely blocked at this point. I'll need to address this at some point, but it has me concerned about what other problems it could be causing.

So for anyone still reading.... At what point can I trust this thing???

Are any of these major red flags or are these things I should expect running an old generator like this?

Should I be looking for a MEP-803a or a different unit that would be more reliable?

I specifically wanted a 003a over the 803a as I thought the simpler air cooled generator would have less to go wrong with it, but I've had enough problems with this I'm wondering if I made the wrong purchase. I would appreciate something quieter and more importantly something reliable.

Thanks to anyone still reading and for sharing any thoughts!

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks in advanced for any comments and help!

I'll give a bit of back story and then get to the generator below. I bought an MEP-003a about 1 1/2 years ago and while I've given it a few test runs, I've never really needed it and about 10 hours is the longest I've run it. Saturday night a couple small tornados passed through town and knocked out power for us and about 25% of our small town.

First off I'll mention that having a tornado shelter in the midwest is a HUGE plus. While our friends were hiding in closets and bathrooms fearful for there lives and the safety of their families, I was concerned that I hadn't put more time into finishing the storm shelter. It's bones are there and I'm not worried about getting blown away, but the inside is a work in progress. It has now been moved up pretty high on the priority list to finish it off as it would have been nicer to have it done. Second I'm super glad I have a generator that can run most out house. It's been running MOSTLY non-stop for over 30 hours now. The food in the fridge and freezers is good, the house is cool, the water is hot, laundry continues to be done, and we've eaten meals as if we had city power.

The generator has shut off 3 times and thanks to the TMs, others with similar problems that have posted online, tinkering, and some good old fashion luck I've been able to get it back online. While I do enjoy working on it I don't enjoy the unpredictability of it and I certainly wouldn't feel good about leaving my wife at home depending on it. I'm super sensitive to any surges and I'm continually worried it's going shut off again and not start back up.

I don't know what has caused it to stop running and since it's a work in progress and I'm going off not much sleep it's hard to remember what I've done and in what order.

Here's where I'm at with it:

1) The starter cut off plunger, (I assume you mean the S7) does not extend to contact the points. I'm currently bypassing this by jumping the wires together then removing the jumper once it's started. I learned that if you leave the jumper in place voltage is high (over 260 volts) and it runs at about 50 hertz. Without touching anything once the jumper is removed it runs at 240 volts and 60 hertz.

You need to read in the TM, the test and adjustment procedure for the S7 switch. Its not adjusted right, or its broken, or the wires to and from it, are not connected. This switch often is jumped due to people not reading the troubleshooting guide. Its simple, easy fault to correct.
2) The shutters don't open. I've noticed this in the past but most the work I've done with the generator has been in the winter and from what I've read the shutter won't open much when it's cold. Now that it's summer I would expect them to open. Upon closer inspection, the linkage from the thermo power unit to the shutters is missing. I've manually opened the shutters and am just running the unit with them full open. IF THIS IS BAD PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN STOP DOING THAT. I'm running it with them open as I believe I may have over heated the unit one of the times. By time I found the information that the over temp switch is normally closed and I checked it, it was closed and when I attempted to restart the unit it started fine.

You are going to get tired of me fast, but reading the book would have helped beforehand. And a good inspection of the set before operating it might have found the missing linkage. Running the set with open shutters isn't too bad. No, the set doesn't warm up right. Yes the set will tend to wet stack a bit more, but that's manageable by loading the set up. 75% or better.

3) The generator charging system does not work. I currently have the battery maintainer plugged into the 120 port on the front and charging the batteries. With the maintainer off, my batteries were at 23.96 volts and with the 4 amp maintainer on, voltage was 24.4. I'd like to see it higher, but at least I know more is going in than coming out.

Read the procedure for testing the charging circuit. There is even a sticky on just that subject. If its the regulator, there is the option of buying one here from a member of the forum who makes them.

The latest time it stopped on me I happened to be outside. I was going to refuel and head to bed. While outside I heard it shut off.... very abruptly and was clearly shut off by it's self. Over temp sensor closed, starter cut off open and was still just getting a "click" when attempting to start it. (In the past I've had trouble shutting the unit off. I could turn the main switch to off, pull the breaker on the panel off, disconnect the fuel pumps, disconnect the battery, and it would just kept running. I determined that problem was the fuel cut off solenoid was extending, but not far enough to actually cut off the fuel. Adjusted that and it now shuts off better than it ever has. Since it continued running with everything disconnected I figured the gen didn't need batteries to run, just to start it. I've since put it together why it continued to run (fuel cut off out of adjustment) and realized that it NEEDS batteries to run....

The learning curve is growing smaller. You will be a gen set mechanic yet! The reason it cuts off without the batteries is because your charging circuit isn't working.

I noticed the batteries were each at about 9.5 volts after this last shut off. I knew that wouldn't be enough to start it once I figured out why it wasn't running so I went and got my battery charger and a smaller generator and put a quick charge on them. Impatiently while they were charging I rounded up two other batteries and attempted a start and it fired right up. I figured I'd remove those batteries and put them back where they came from while the MEPs batteries continued to charge. As soon as I disconnected the first battery the gen quickly shut off. So that's how I learned it needs batteries to run.

4) At one point probably about 20 hours into this I got a bit more aggressive with the load I was putting on it. Initially I was keeping the load under 50% and when the AC unit was off it hardly had any load on it all. I pushed the unit harder and got it to about 75% continuous and would surge higher as larger draws would come on. Shortly (maybe 30 minutes) after running it harder the unit bogged down and almost shut off. I removed all load and it got back up to 1800 rpm. It could handle a small load (maybe 5 amps) but anything more and it would bog down and run a slow rpm. I topped it off (the tank was about 1/3-1/2 full) and ran diesel through the fuel filters until it came out clean. It seems to be doing good again. I've kept the load to less than 50% as I'd rather have it running there than push it and have it not run at all.

The more load, the better.
When I first got the unit I it had some contaminated fuel and there was mold / fungus growing on the screen at the bottom of the sleeve for the fuel tank. I thought I had cleaned that and taken care of it, but it is back and that screen is completely blocked at this point. I'll need to address this at some point, but it has me concerned about what other problems it could be causing.

You need to read several threads about cleaning up the fuel system. A diesel engine needs three things. Air, fuel and compression. When is the last time you drained the water separator, to see if you have water in the system? Have you drained fuel out of the filters to see if its clean? Glass jar is just what you need. If the system is cruddy, new filters may be in order. If you don't like the old style filters, put something new and high tech on. Perhaps something that allows you to water separate, and filter in one. should not be hard. Clean the water separator also. There is nothing wrong with the fuel system. You need to look at it more often.

So for anyone still reading.... At what point can I trust this thing???

When you are willing to troubleshoot and fix your problems, the reliability will go up.

Are any of these major red flags or are these things I should expect running an old generator like this?

Had you bought an MEP-803, you would have some of the same problems. A commander has to take care of the troops. That gen set is one of your troops. Take care of it, and it will take care of you. My personnel opinion is that if I had to chose between a MEP-003A and a MEP-803, don't get in my way when I am picking up my 003A.

Should I be looking for a MEP-803a or a different unit that would be more reliable?

When you are willing to troubleshoot and fix your problems, the reliability will go up.

I specifically wanted a 003a over the 803a as I thought the simpler air cooled generator would have less to go wrong with it, but I've had enough problems with this I'm wondering if I made the wrong purchase. I would appreciate something quieter and more importantly something reliable.

Thanks to anyone still reading and for sharing any thoughts!
That's the beauty of the 003A. Its simple to use and fix. But you have to get smart on the gen set. We ran one for six months. It never failed, (except when someone didn't fuel it up) We stopped it once a day, did PMCS and changed oil once a month. I wanted to take the thing home.

Link for volt regulators: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-Voltage-Regulators-for-MEP-002A-and-MEP-003A
Link for spin on oil filters: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?172108-MEP-002a-003a-oil-filter-adapter-kit

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

Just like any relationship you have to spend time with it to build trust.

As you go through the set and make repairs you will get to know how it works. This makes troubleshooting much easier in an emergency. At least as important get the set out and test it monthly. Run it under different loads and see how it reacts. This gets you comfortable and you will know what you are able to do (or not do) in an emergency.

Thanks to this site, Guyfang in particular i have gotten very comfortable with my 003. I break it out monthly and run the house with it. Some times it’s all day. Other times just a few hours. Every time I do this it builds my confidence in the set and it allows me to get a baseline so I know how it should be running under different conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmxenbrett

Fix all small issues before you need it to run your house. Doing this you wont be jumping the starter or manualy opening the shutters.

Chainbreaker

What year is your generator?

How many hours on meter? Does hours meter appear original or replacement (rusted/tarnished mtg screws or shiny bright with rest of panel's gauges screws rusted/tarnished)?

Is there a reset tag (rebuild) on it or just the original Mfg's tag?

Overall condition? Does it look like it was kept indoors (good paint & wiring harness insulation good) or outdoors (faded/rusty & wiring harness insulation cloth beginning to fray)?

How do fuel hoses look? Are they faded black & stiff? Any weeping of fuel?

Any signs of oil leaks?

Those are just some obvious things to check that may reveal how this unit has been maintained & its current condition. To really trust it you need to closely inspect the unit inside & out...open the control box front panel & take a close look at wiring, is everything (screw terminals) tight? Change ALL the filters & oil if you haven't already done so. A clean fuel system is a must as is periodic test runs of an hour or so. Treat fuel for long term storage & keep it topped up to prevent condensation inside tank walls.

If you put the time in, these units can be ultra reliable but it is always a good idea to begin to accumulate & have some key spares on hand...anything can fail over time even if it were new.

Those are just some observable things that may give you some clues as to how it was kept/maintained.

jamawieb

I sale a lot of military generators and would much rather have a 003a over a 803a. When the 803a fails its very difficult to find the problem when times are tough. The 003a is more reliable but you have to run it more to work out all the quirks. All the items you mentioned are common problems that should have been caught before a major outage. The DC regulator is notorious for failing and Triple Jim has developed a replacement along with a voltage regulator. The starter lock out is very easy to adjust and could have been adjusted within 1-2 minutes so you wouldn't have to bypass it. I personally use a 002a with 4500+ hours for backup because I trust it more than a low hour 802a. Just my 2 cents. But I will say, I have one customer that just surpassed 18,000 hours on his 802a with only minimal maintenance. He had to replace the DC alternator and just replaced the water (he posted a video on youtube of the endeavor)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to do your due diligence.
Especially if it’s something your family will depend on.

Every piece of surplus equipment I buy, I will spend days reading everything I can about it.
TMs, threads, issues and fixes, opinions.
Then going over every inch of it.
Making notes of what I’ve checked, repairs made and service completed.
Reliability is everything. Especially for a Generator.

I know my Kohler Generator isn’t remotely as fancy and capable as a MEP unit, but I still want it ready when needed.
It is ready right now.
I’ve put right at 100 hours on it.
80% of that time was simply running it, loaded, to keep it happy.

Point is, I know it will start right now and provide power (and light) when needed, without any issues.
Sure things can happen, it’s a machine, but I’ve done everything possible to make sure it will start and run and make power

More storms are forecasted for next week.
We dodged a nasty storm tonight.

You have a lot of Generator work to do.

Last edited:

justacitizen

i will testify to Tripplejim's voltage regulator. i have them on all of my MEP 002A and 003A gens. remember that the generator gets i't excitation from the 24 volt DC system so it is pretty important to have it working. also Jims regulators can be run without batteries. the spin on kit is simple and very functional i recommend it also. are you still running on Gen power?

i have used the MEP 002A for months at a time for prime power without any problems. they like to run and loaded. just have a few spare filters and a voltage regulator around .

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

Spare filters would be a minimum to me. Its not like you will never use them. If your in a cold climate where diesel can gel i would have two sets of fuel filters.
I would also keep things like fuel hoses and other such rubber parts around but the BEST "part" to have around is the MANUAL.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spare filters would be a minimum to me. Its not like you will never use them. If your in a cold climate where diesel can gel i would have two sets of fuel filters.
I would also keep things like fuel hoses and other such rubber parts around but the BEST "part" to have around is the MANUAL.
Agree, manual/s in paper form, not electronic access.

I'd add a can or two of contact cleaner and applicable fuses to the list also.

Chainbreaker

I would also suggest that you buy a set of new glow plugs & install them using copper anti seize compound. Be sure to treat GP's with "PB Blaster" for several days before attempting to remove them. You want to do this before they rust in place or the tips swell up to the point they will not come out the hole. Then, if you find your existing glow plugs were still usable you have a set of used spares on hand and you know the new one's in it are good to go.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest drawback to the aircooled units over the liquid cooled, for the casual backup owner... is cycling. Gotta keep fresh fuel going through the IP so it doesn't stick up. The 80x series can sit for significantly longer, without needing to be cycled. The IP on the 00x needs to be cycled monthly to keep everything on the up and up. Not a BIG drawback mind you, but something that an end user should look at.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks