• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Radio Antenna Question(s)

Third From Texas

I have the passenger side antenna mount with spring intact. I've encountered a number of antennas for sale that list a for "LMTV", but they list a wide range of vehicles and vary considerably.

1) Does anyone know the antenna designation that goes with our trucks (I guess assuming just the standard radio stack)?

I have a spare ICOM F121 (136–174 MHz) that most of my cars have installed that I'll drop into the truck.

2) Is there a particular antenna that might work or be modified to work at 136–174 MHz

I've got a link to a mod to convert a MX-6707 with AS-1729/VRC into a CB/marine band antenna.

So anyone have any pointers, antenna suggestions, or links?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the passenger side antenna mount with spring intact....
1) Does anyone know the antenna designation that goes with our trucks (I guess assuming just the standard radio stack)?
The most common standard antenna is an AS-3900. Another is an AS-3916. Your base is most likely for an AS-3900. Both are for SINCGARS radios, 30-88 MHz.

grobster

Would this Shakespeare antenna plug and play with this mount and civilian radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ronmar

Yea, I have only seen the LMTV mounts in pictures. Looking at the Pic that Grobster put up, it may fit without modification... Since they share comms packages across different platforms it would make sense to have had similar antenna bases specced for as many antennas as possible.

Third From Texas

Yea, I have only seen the LMTV mounts in pictures. Looking at the Pic that Grobster put up, it may fit without modification... Since they share comms packages across different platforms it would make sense to have had similar antenna bases specced for as many antennas as possible.
Yep, that's the dimensions on my base so I assume it's standardized for the size.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military antennas are all fairly long for common HAM/FRS/GMRS/MURS/etc. frequencies, so not very practical to use. When you use them for wavelengths outside what they were designed for they don't generate a nice "donut" energy radiation pattern, and instead create lobes and nulls at various angles. That will cause you to get strange RX/TX behavior (you will be able to talk to someone far away where one of the lobes of energy is pointing, and at the same time have difficulty talking to someone right next to you who is sitting in one of the nulls).

Antenna "tuners" will not really solve this problem, as they only adjust the impedance. The only real way to fix it is to cut it to ideal length (lambda/4).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_(radio)
1920px-Sidelobes_en.svg.jpg

Crapgame

The Harris
RF-3183-AT013 30-512MHz covers part of the designated Ham bands.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ebay.com/itm/233182435620?ul_noapp=true[/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks