• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Brakes at all - pedal goes to floor

TXMIDGUFFREY

Expert experienced advice please.

'71 M35a2 - brake pedal goes to the floor, no resistance, master cyl is full, no air leaks

Troubleshooting guide leads me to "Air-Hydraulic Cylinder"

I found a rebuild kit at Mike's Motor Pool but it calls it M35A2 2.5 TON AIR PACK REBUILD KIT 8345007

Am I on the right track with this?

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make sure to adjust and bleed the brakes first. Have you been in the hubs to verify the wheel cyls are good? If not, its time to take a weekend and do it.

Big Tom

It all needs a good going over to be safe for shure, go under and pull rubber boot back on master cylinder and see if piston is stuck all the way in.

Big Tom

Kaiser67M715

**So, I'm going to add to this, as I lost pedal in my truck this afternoon, If the Moderators feel This should be a separate thread, please move.**

I do still have "brakes" it will hold on an incline, but I'm probably only 1/2" from floor. No Fluid loss(that I can see in reservoir, pumping brakes multiple times did not bring the pedal back up, nor did the fluid level drop) I am also leaning towards an Air Pack failure, but would like a second opinion.

I will also say I did my annual brake inspection 2 or 3 weekends ago, removed hubs, and pulled back all the dust boots, everything that should have been dry was dry. Pedal feel this morning I would say was normal, fluid was at top level mark. Again, just looking for a second opinion, I will be going through the whole system.

davidb56

**So, I'm going to add to this, as I lost pedal in my truck this afternoon, If the Moderators feel This should be a separate thread, please move.**

I do still have "brakes" it will hold on an incline, but I'm probably only 1/2" from floor. No Fluid loss(that I can see in reservoir, pumping brakes multiple times did not bring the pedal back up, nor did the fluid level drop) I am also leaning towards an Air Pack failure, but would like a second opinion.

I will also say I did my annual brake inspection 2 or 3 weekends ago, removed hubs, and pulled back all the dust boots, everything that should have been dry was dry. Pedal feel this morning I would say was normal, fluid was at top level mark. Again, just looking for a second opinion, I will be going through the whole system.
wouldn't you lose fluid if it is a air pack issue? I'd be inclined to give the master cylinder a closer look.

Kaiser67M715

wouldn't you lose fluid if it is a air pack issue? I'd be inclined to give the master cylinder a closer look.
my thought was I would lose fluid or all brakes if it was the master...but I guess I'm not 100% sure. I need to find a way to get it home first.

davidb56

If the rubber cup on the piston in the master cylinder is scored, fluid will pass by it and you wouldn't lose fluid.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks