• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rounded Eccentric 1/2" Adjuster

jake20

Hi All,

I'm going through a complete brake system re-do on my truck. Bought all new parts for almost everything, trying to ensure that it is as safe as can possibly be.

I have run into an issue however, and I might need a few ideas. After loosening the 1 1/8" nuts on the adjusters for one of my wheels, and attempting to turn the 1/2" major adjuster to properly space the shoes, I have ended up almost nearly rounding the 1/2" adjuster. I'd like to avoid having to completely take the wheel apart again if possible.

I'm unsure as to why yet, but after putting new shoes on and getting the hub and drum back on, the bottom adjusters simply won't turn. I had no problem with them on one wheel, but this one won't budge.

I'm considering possibly filing it back down to get a good grip on it, but this still won't help much if I can't turn them. My 2nd idea would be to heat them up with a propane torch and then attempt turning. It still seems rather odd that they won't turn with the amount of force I put in.

for the remainder of my wheels, I'm considering removing the bottom eccentric adjusters completely while I have the hub/drum off, then cleaning/putting a little grease on them. Is it possible to completely remove them? If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem is probably rust, plain and simple. There is a reason it takes a felt washer - well soaked in grease, in between the backing plate and the first retainer washer. (part #18 in diagram, below).
Eventually the grease will dry out and the pin start to rust where it goes through the backing plate.

Yes, with the drum off you can completely remove those adjusters. Clean and de-rust everything, even weld-up and reshape that rounded end, to serve for the next 50 years...
(TM 9-2320-361-20, 8-20 & 8-21)

Eccentric adjuster, brake shoe.PNG

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Did you have fun with the big spring holding the brakes together?

Heres my home made tool for removing/ installing them:
20190525_135043.jpg

yolner

When they get rusty they're hard as **** to get out. I think I soaked mine in PB blaster, heated, and beat on them over a couple of weekends before I got them all out. If you're doing the brakes you definitely want to get them out of there and clean up the rust or you're going to have a **** of a time adjusting anything. If you beat one to death I believe some vendors still sell replacements.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What everyone above has said. If you are taking the brakes all the way down, ALWAYS take those out, clean and re lube them. Anti seize is your friend. I made a tool to help with the funky adjuster but when I did the brakes on the V100, I messed it up, yes, because one was stuck very bad. Had to use heat to get them out on a few trucks.

jake20

Thank you all for the great recommendations! Been busy the past few days so I just got around to checking back in here. I've put an order in already for a few spare eccentric bolts, and I will be completely removing and cleaning the remaining ones as I do them. Those exploded view diagrams definitely help with seeing how it goes together. As usual, finding those in the TMs can be a lengthy process if you haven't done it before haha.
And gimpyrobb, I found a way to easily slide the spring into place using a screwdriver. The first one I did was a real pain, the second one I did using my new screwdriver method instantly snapped in hehe. I'll take a video next time I'm out workin on it, likely next Saturday.

Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's input!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks