• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m998 what year is it

Delray

Hi-
Got a new to me m998. It was sold to me by a nearby police department as a 1996 model. I had it shipped here and when i got it there were two titles included. One was 1990 and one was a 1996. The tag on the humvee says delivered 2/90 so what do i have? If its a 90 and they claimed its a 96 should i ask for a refund?

Delray

The differed but it was mostly the same. I think the 1990 title had a preface of 5 digits but the last are the same.

Should i ask for a refund? Partial or full?

BLK HMMWV

Since when can police departments sell HMMWV's ?
I thought they had to turn them back in to the Gov. when they no longer had a use for them.
Perhaps it depends on how they acquired it but I'd want to ask that question.

Delray

I dont know other than i have it sitting in my driveway... and two titles. I paid for a 96 but appears i got a 90. Not sure if that makes a whole lot of difference ..:

DREDnot

I think a genuine 96 would be a 6.5L and a 4 speed park auto trans. They go for a lot more money with the good drive train. If you paid 4 speed price for a three speed. That's kinda shady.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
90 would normally be a V belt, 3 spd truck.
If they got it directly from DOD, then they have to return it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi-
Got a new to me m998. It was sold to me by a nearby police department as a 1996 model. I had it shipped here and when i got it there were two titles included. One was 1990 and one was a 1996. The tag on the humvee says delivered 2/90 so what do i have? If its a 90 and they claimed its a 96 should i ask for a refund?
Did this come from a sheriffs department in Michigans U.P. ?

Just a heads up the site rules require a State in your location in your profile.

Delray

I don't know what engine/transmission it has. I assume there is an ID guide around here somewhere that I can look at.

This one came from a police department in middle TN. I have about 11k in it which seemed like a fair price at the time but now I am reconsidering :)

BLK HMMWV

Did you buy it without looking at it first in person?
The fact it has 2 titles seems a bit odd to me.

How did you pay for it? Cash? Check?
Who got the money.

Delray

Did you buy it without looking at it first in person?
The fact it has 2 titles seems a bit odd to me.

How did you pay for it? Cash? Check?
Who got the money.
Yes it was an online purchase through govdeals. Wire transfer to them so no going back, at least not easily.

papakb

Depending on the state you live in registration varies. The date on the data plate would be the manufacture and delivery date to the military. Chances are that 1996 is the year the truck was first registered by the PD but the data plate itself is the determining article.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or, it was overhauled in 1996. I've seen trucks come out with the overhaul date on the VIN plate as the date of manufacture.

$11K for a running HMMWV with a clear title sounds like a good deal. If the data plate says it is a 1990 truck, and the 1990 title matches it, I'd be content with my purchase. OTOH, if the VIN matches the 1996 title, I'd be more concerned because your title won't match the VIN data plate.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Trying to keep up with the goings on here... Purchased sight unseen? Not sure of engine / options? Condition? I would say IF you got a good deal AND can legally keep IT with two titles, I would keep quite. Most winners are having bigger troubles just getting one title. If the PD had it more likely on road? all the better. How they got it may require it be returned to the government. stated above, another reason to lay low.

Insurance and registration may be more if you are going to go with the 1996.

Not so sure there are "good deals" on HUMMWV as the prices are all over the place. 1986 build, reworked over the years, found a 1990 MWO tag, holding two titles 1990 & 1996 title, what a mess. It's kinda, if you want one bad enough and can fill the bill, that's the price. Options for sure drive the price, year IMO not so much as they seem to have various upgrades over time. Now the one's going for $150K OUCH. Would hate to get a scratch on that one.

Need more info to really tell. What color is it? So far just teasing the gang here.

I have a 1986 that I built up, so it brand new to me. CAMO

Delray

Trying to keep up with the goings on here... Purchased sight unseen? Not sure of engine / options? Condition? I would say IF you got a good deal AND can legally keep IT with two titles, I would keep quite. Most winners are having bigger troubles just getting one title. If the PD had it more likely on road? all the better. How they got it may require it be returned to the government. stated above, another reason to lay low.

Insurance and registration may be more if you are going to go with the 1996.

Not so sure there are "good deals" on HUMMWV as the prices are all over the place. 1986 build, reworked over the years, found a 1990 MWO tag, holding two titles 1990 & 1996 title, what a mess. It's kinda, if you want one bad enough and can fill the bill, that's the price. Options for sure drive the price, year IMO not so much as they seem to have various upgrades over time. Now the one's going for $150K OUCH. Would hate to get a scratch on that one.

Need more info to really tell. What color is it? So far just teasing the gang here.

I have a 1986 that I built up, so it brand new to me. CAMO
it is runs and drives. Has about 275 miles on the odometer. Hard start but the information on this site has some good tips on what needs to be done to fix that. Looked at the serial number and it says 1990 so i suppose i will register it with the 1990 title which should prevent future issue.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinions -

1) no worries about police departments not being able to sell them. You got a title so you're covered. Worst case, fedgov demands it back from the PD at which point you have clear legal recourse to get compensation from the PD. It'll go to court. They'll lose.

2) You have a title that matches the dataplate. Take that one and go transfer it to you. Stick the other one in a safe place and save it for a rainy day.

3) The truck is a garden variety 1990 with most likely a 6.2 and 3 speed. It has a helmet top. As to whether you got a "deal", opinions vary. If I'm buying it, I dont really want to go $11k on it. If I'm selling it, I'm asking $12.5 and expecting $11k. Prices vary widely.

It's in your driveway and yours. Transfer the title that matches and run with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks