• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m998 what year is it

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 - use the older title. The closer a vehicle is to 30 years of age, the better.

2 - From what I recall from posts a year ago, at least one poster to this forum mentioned that when HMMWV's underwent rebuild, new data plates and titles were sometimes issued using the year of the rebuild.

Crapgame

That's more shady feces by GovDeals, GovLiquidation, Go-Dove. The vehicle data plate shows a delivery date of 1990, its a 1990 truck 6.2l NA, TH400 3speed, 218 transfer case, 8000lb GVWR suspension, not a 1996 which would be A2 series with the 10,300lb GVWR suspension, 6.5l NA engine, 4L80E 4 speed and 242 Transfer case. Some states are not issued road plates for HMMWV, some states only issue "parade/display-only" or 25+yr old (or 30+yr old) "antique" or "classic" limited plates. The 1990 title would be useful in those states worse case scenario but still, if they listed the auction as a 1996 mfg year truck and you bought it as a 1996 yr truck only to discover on delivery its actually 6 yrs older, that lot was misrepresented.

Edit: Was the 1990 delivery data plate visible in the auction listing?

Delray

That's more shady feces by GovDeals, GovLiquidation, Go-Dove. The vehicle data plate shows a delivery date of 1990, its a 1990 truck 6.2l NA, TH400 3speed, 218 transfer case, 8000lb GVWR suspension, not a 1996 which would be A2 series with the 10,300lb GVWR suspension, 6.5l NA engine, 4L80E 4 speed and 242 Transfer case. Some states are not issued road plates for HMMWV, some states only issue "parade/display-only" or 25+yr old (or 30+yr old) "antique" or "classic" limited plates. The 1990 title would be useful in those states worse case scenario but still, if they listed the auction as a 1996 mfg year truck and you bought it as a 1996 yr truck only to discover on delivery its actually 6 yrs older, that lot was misrepresented.

Edit: Was the 1990 delivery data plate visible in the auction listing?
the tag was not visible in the auction ... the sheriff insists it a 1996 model. The 96 title matches the serial number exactly ... the 90 title has 1990 appended to the front of the serial. So its a mess/

Dock Rocker

You over payed a little. You have at least one good title. Just slap a tag on it and have fun with it.

Download all the TM’s, read them and check your hub nuts before you take it down the road. Don’t trust that the department did any PM’s. Do all of them so that you have a good base to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awol

Since when can police departments sell HMMWV's ?
I thought they had to turn them back in to the Gov. when they no longer had a use for them.
Perhaps it depends on how they acquired it but I'd want to ask that question.
They auction them off around here. It's nice because you can usually get them with stuff on them that don't come on them from the usual auctions.

Crapgame

I think I saw somewhere that the Agency has to hold onto 1033 program vehicles or use it for 2 or 3 years I can't remember then it can be released as surplus with some restrictions pertaining to armored vehicles. Examples, HMMWV are a depreciating asset and if compliant with the DLA demil standards may be released but articles subject to higher demil standards like MRAP and, M113A2s, property has to be returned to DLA for disposal. I believe there is at least one case of an agency auctioning off an M113A2 that was later confiscated by DOD. This is a separate issue from the Obama EO 13668 that required MRAPS etc returned to DOD from law enforcement agencies.

TOM R

When i recently titled mine in n.j. with antique plates it came with a pa title from guy that bought it at auction, n.j. modified the vin, i believe they added amg in front and 92 on back of the vin, i did make them give me a copy of the original pa title in case there are issues later since the plate on the truck does not reflect these changes

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck most likely came to the S.O. Via the 1033 program, they basically own the truck after a year.
its a common practice to sell them off via auction after they are done with them, that or give them back.
As far as the truck goes...it’s a 1990, not a 96, but who cares...but it sounds like you had no business buying it based on the answers you have given and have some remorse, did you do any sort of research? I see a join date in May, so just a week or so ago. Perhaps it’s a “Cart before the Horse”

The price is not out of line for what you paid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks