• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Small (amusing) HMMWV admirer

riderdan

So I was on my way to a meeting yesterday afternoon driving the truck and stopped to get fuel. As I pumping diesel this lady pulled up to the other side of the pump and got out with her son--I'd guess he was about three. He saw the HMMWV and his eyes got big as saucers. He asked me "Is that your truck?" I told him it was. "Is it an army truck?" he asked. I told him that it wasn't being used by the army anymore."Wow!" he said, "Does it shoot bad guys?" I cracked up.

His mom was sweet--she was worried he was bothering me, but I told her I was used to it. They finished fueling and headed out before I thought to ask him if he wanted to sit in the truck, which I'll try to remember for next time. We need to encourage future MV collectors while they're young and impressionable.

cruzinz28

Today at my daughter's school they had "Daddy Donuts" day before school started. Her requirements are we drive the HMMWV to that every year and on the last day of school I drop her off in it. Of course both dads and kids flood the truck. I always ask if they want to set in it when they are shy. I always lead with, "its okay, you cant hurt it."

My daughter's job is to chock the wheels front and back of the rear tire when she gets out. I use it as a tool to teach routine and responsibility to a task. We also use it to trick-or-treat each year through our friends development. We normally have 7-8 half size troops in the back with 3 adults.

Both my daughters point out other military trucks when they see them. I will have no problem passing this hobby onto them.

JKDAY

This is a pic of me with my boys on the way to school. It's only a two block drive, but they love to drive in the M998. All of their classmates love the "Army Truck". I do enjoy seeing the looks on the faces of the kids and parents when we pull up. A dad of one of my youngest son's classmates came over to me a couple of days later and said he used to work on HMMWV's when he was in the army, and offered to stop by if I ever needed some help wrenching on the truck. I've owned old Willy's wagons, Jeeps, and miscellaneous pickup trucks, but there's nothing quite like the HMMWV. What a great vehicle!

M998.jpg

View attachment 766519

Last edited:

papakb

Here in the SF Bay Area they have a fund raising program called "Touch a Truck" where kids and families can look at the trucks and sit in them. We had an M998 and an M996A1 ambulance and the kids had a ball with them. It's surprising how many Moms and Dads had questions about them too. There were a couple of fire trucks, a dump truck, and Bobcat that the kids could learn about. It's a great local fund raising program and a great way to get young people interested.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in the SF Bay Area they have a fund raising program called "Touch a Truck" where kids and families can look at the trucks and sit in them. We had an M998 and an M996A1 ambulance and the kids had a ball with them. It's surprising how many Moms and Dads had questions about them too. There were a couple of fire trucks, a dump truck, and Bobcat that the kids could learn about. It's a great local fund raising program and a great way to get young people interested.
Please PM me more information about this most interesting program. NYC could use such an idea.

Thanks,

T

Guyfang

Staff member
Once a year, during the German American fest here in Bamberg, we did a HAWK display. Complete with launchers, loaders, radars, gen sets and trucks. It was a hit, every year. Not just the kids, but the old farts too. When I could converse in German, above the 2nd grade level, I was the whole day, EVERY day, on my toes. Thankfully, there were a few Germans who had been ADA in town, (Bamberg) who could help translate what was what. The people loved it! The American ice cream helped.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once a year, during the German American fest here in Bamberg, we did a HAWK display. Complete with launchers, loaders, radars, gen sets and trucks. It was a hit, every year. Not just the kids, but the old farts too. When I could converse in German, above the 2nd grade level, I was the whole day, EVERY day, on my toes. Thankfully, there were a few Germans who had been ADA in town, (Bamberg) who could help translate what was what. The people loved it! The American ice cream helped.
This is an awesome idea and an awesome program, and Guyfang, I'm happy to see it is also international.

I have friends in NYFD, NYPD, construction, sanitation, and I think a program like this is such a great idea that I will mention to my associates to see if we can follow the lead of the OP and set up some type of fair. (What type of insurance was/is needed for the event?)

Thanks again for sharing!

JEB

This is a pic of me with my boys on the way to school. It's only a two block drive, but they love to drive in the M998. All of their classmates love the "Army Truck". I do enjoy seeing the looks on the faces of the kids and parents when we pull up. A dad of one of my youngest son's classmates came over to me a couple of days later and said he used to work on HMMWV's when he was in the army, and offered to stop by if I ever needed some help wrenching on the truck. I've owned old Willy's wagons, Jeeps, and miscellaneous pickup trucks, but there's nothing quite like the HMMWV. What a great vehicle!

View attachment 766577

View attachment 766519
In my state they'd probably arrest you for child abuse putting kids in a no door vehicle! 😁

Seriously, that's cool.
When I was a kid a neighbor would take me out in his M38A1, and I thought that was the best thing ever.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is an awesome idea and an awesome program, and Guyfang, I'm happy to see it is also international.

I have friends in NYFD, NYPD, construction, sanitation, and I think a program like this is such a great idea that I will mention to my associates to see if we can follow the lead of the OP and set up some type of fair. (What type of insurance was/is needed for the event?)

Thanks again for sharing!
Woooooo, sorry I didn't see this back then. Somehow missed it. Insurance. Hummmmm. Well that was taken care of by people with much more rank then me. And I can imagine it was a project all by itself. The Fest amounted to a county fair. It covered about 1.5 to 2 hectares. Ferris wheel and all. I was but a young SP/5. Mister Step and Fetch it.

JEB

I'd like to see more of stuff like "touch a truck".
In the U.K., there are a lot of similar fundraisers for medical causes, (hospices, ambulance services, research) a popular one is to "sell" rides in people's collector cars.
We who are fortunate enough to have a "toy" car, forget that a lot of folks would love to ride or just sit in our vehicles.

A friend has a (very) high end Ford GT40 replica and he's been known to give kids ride in it if they show a lot of interest at a car show. (In fact a few months ago he was stopped by a guy who told him he gave his little brother a ride a few years ago and the boy is still talking about it and is now taking auto classes at the community college).

Likewise, at a show at the Indy track as part of the track's centennial in 2011, I gave rides in my roadsters to the Army troops who were there with a display. They loved it.

So, by all means, share your cars it might help grow the hobby ...or maybe save it if you're in a state (like mine) that dislikes military vehicles (likely because of politics, IMHO).

I know as a kid, I would have loved to sit or ride in a Jeep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks