• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hurricane season

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
June 1st getting ready checking out the bank and load testing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

I ran the 802 last week. Hopefully this week I will be able to drag out the 003 and put some hours on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaAKM

Don't remind me till September, that is when Irma showed me in 2017 that I am in a 100 year flood plain & took out the only bridge on the way to work(which is still out). On the other hand, thanks for the remind to get the gensets checked out again.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, work did out annual briefing a couple weeks ago. Just got home last night and pulling DRASH out today.

Dock Rocker

Better put your plugs in for that one

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have 200 ft of line between the set and the house so it’s not to bad. It’s a whole lot more generator than the 802.

I have it set up on a trailer with a camper panel (50 amp and 30 amp plugs) so it’s the mobile unit to help out around the community. The 802 is the backup so we can still have air conditioning.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Generator got over an hour of workout a few days ago. AC works. Working to get a power cable. distribution box still sitting at parents but should have it here in late july.

7 cases of water, 2 cases of Gatorade, cans of food, extra dog food, batteries for flashlight and radio, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ft. Lauderdale 06112019 ......a note for me, all ready.
3 cases of beer, 4 cartons cigarettes, 90 gallons propane, generator new with two batteries and back up to that, nailed down everything in the yard again, 13,000 gallons pool water to flush the facilities, 150 gallons potable water containers and the tub bladder to fill, full fuel tanks on cars, rigged to be able to charge the electric car from generator, all storm boards and shutters ready, trees trimmed back, all pets gone, ample medicine and minor to heavy duty medical supplies stowed, multiple new canvas and plastic tarps and rope stowed, new batteries in all 4 UPS, ample ammo + food stored, some sandbags for doors, and on and on.
35 years around here and one learns to be prepared for no power, no communications, no water or food available to buy.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jimmy Buffett has something to say about this topic.

https://youtu.be/E8GcT5PBIC4

He and I were both a lot younger when that one came out. I was still living in FL at the time and didn't see a hurricane on the Gulf Coast the 6 years I lived there. Now that I'm in TX I'm too far in land to get more than a Tropical Storm and had a few of those the last 16 years.

Last edited:

kavesman1

I live down in Douglas,GA. It's about 92 miles from the Atlantic and 115 miles from the Gulf. Generally don't have to worry about hurricanes living that far in land, but an odd tropical storm every once in a while does come over my area. Last year was the first year the NWS issued a hurricane warning for my county...and it was the first in my lifetime that i can remember they ever did that. So as the old saying goes...I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Glad i got my 803A when i did... soon after the prices started to skyrocket.

Funny story when i got it...Mom and Grandma couldn't understand why i got it (they thought it was a piece of junk). But roughly 3 weeks after i got it, we had a tropical storm pass our area and knocked out power for about 5-6 hrs. When i got back home from the road, they asked me when i was going to have it hooked up to the house.

Bill W

I grew up in S.Fla, had several gensets ( bought first one in 1990 ) but in all those years of Hurricanes and Tropical storms I might have put about 6hrs of use on them. Now after living in Atlanta Georgia for 15yrs I've got just over 72hrs of use from my 003a...Go Figure!

csheath

We were out of power for a week after Hurricane Hermine hit us. That was the last straw for me and began my search for a generator. Having a diesel tractor and backhoe was my inspiration for seeking out a diesel powered generator. Between the two tractors I was already keeping at least 50 gallons of fuel on hand. I tried out a PTO generator that year but my little tractor was borderline adequate with 19 PTO HP. I had to run it wide ass open to keep the hertz up. The cheap China generator was very noisy and had oil puking out the vent so I took it back. I had a neighbor with a 90HP tractor that blew his tractor up running a PTO generator so I decided that wasn't the way I wanted to go. I think the good Winco 1800 RPM PTO generators on a mid sized tractor may make sense for some.

Probably got one of the last of the good deals off GL when I bought my 803 in 11/2016 for $1185 after fees. It was a 2600 hour unit with a forklift gouge in the case but other than that is wasn't too rough. Nowhere near what you would consider a clean looking unit so that helped with the low price point. I ended up right at two grand all in with it wired to the house and a homemade load bank built to keep it in shape.

Fast forward to today and I have logged well over 100 hours in outages and I keep at least 150 gallons of fuel on hand.

Prices on MIL generators seemed to skyrocket after Hurricane Irma hit Purto Rico in 2017. I suspect they were being bought up and shipped there where many may still be the only source of power. In my opinion once the prices hit the 5K+ price point they no longer made sense over buying a brand new diesel unit with a modern controller.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks