• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please help id this stuff

TOM R

These came with my hmmwv any idea what they are and where they mount, no markings , one wire has 38 on the metal tagKIMG1252.jpg

The big box has 24v + - where the wires are bolted on

Small box looks l I ke has a 110v house plug

Wire Fox

These came with my hmmwv any idea what they are and where they mount, no markings , one wire has 38 on the metal tagView attachment 766661

The big box has 24v + - where the wires are bolted on

Small box looks l I ke has a 110v house plug
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a rigged up small inverter. Can you call get some more detailed shots? One of those cables almost looks like it has a standard laptop AC cable coming off if it, which would mean they're conditioning 24V power, inverting it to 110, then using that to have a laptop power supply transform it back to whatever it needs (18-48V DC). That's what it looks like from what I can see in this picture. It's seems weird and backwards, but might just be...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Edit: you mentioned the small box has a 110 house plug. That must be what I saw as being a laptop AC cable. This might just be a 110VAC to 24VDC power supply. I wouldn't go plugging this in until we can confirm the wiring of the small box and can get some better pictures of the larger box with a heatsink.

Last edited:

TOM R

Thanks ill get a better pic, i saw eastern surplus lists a similar box thats an onboard battery charger? Like i said these came with the hummer no idea if they are for the hummer, i just find it odd there are no tags on the wires, also there is gray paint overspray on the wires

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That larger box looks like an older version of a Newmar DC to DC converter (but could be a Wilmore). 24 volts in gets you 12 v out.

Agree that the little box looks like a battery maintainer.

If that's what they are, both have a place on a HMMWV. [edit: I should have said "have a use". Didn't mean to imply there was a specified location on a HMMWV for them]

Last edited:

TOM R

Ok so i decided to go for broke and plugged in the 110v plug, small box output is 27 volts

Closer look at the big box said 24v inpout on one side and the decal on opposite side is painted over and i can only read the + - and word output

I opened the big box and inside it says input output like something is supposed to be written on the circuit board, board looked ok so i hooked it to the small box and the large u it outputs 14.4 voltsKIMG1254.jpgKIMG1257.jpgKIMG1256.jpg

TOM R

So where does this stuff mount and plug in, sucks i just wired in a small 24v to 12v 20amp unit for power socketKIMG1258.jpgKIMG1259.jpgKIMG1260.jpg

Wire Fox

Honestly, both go wherever you decide they fit best. I'd probably locate the 24V -> 12V step-down adapter in the battery box where it cannot be moved or shorted, then you feed out your 12V accessory power wherever you need it from there. Otherwise, you can build out an enclosure somewhere remote if you want to avoid cramming it into that smallish space. That maintainer charger should go wherever is both convenient to run out the 110VAC cord to be accessible in your parking location, and out of the way and protected enough that it won't accidentally get damaged or removed from your batteries. That might be your battery box if you are up for adding a new, grommeted hole to pass through that AC cord, under a rear seat box if you can run some protected wire in conduit to the battery box, or again-wherever it fits for you.

Both of these look non-standard, so there's really not a dedicated place for either of them-at least not by the TM.

TOM R

Id probably throw both in the battery box , whats supposed to m I unt in that compartment next to the batteries, i have a bracket there

papakb

The first aid kit mounts there. It's where I mounted my Solargizer and I keep a gallon of distilled water there for the batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks