Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Initial shake down trip of a new-to-me XM818

Thanks
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovetofix View Post
    Since I am driving an 809 series regularly on steep hills, I am curious what you found was the cause for your loss of brakes. I am in the process of replacing everything in the brake circuit, except the air pack. It has been functioning perfectly normally but maybe I need to rethink that decision. I do not know what the inside of one looks like, and didn’t think about seals failing in the air pack and making a place for fluid to escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cause not found. Upon arrival to AZ the master cylinder remains full and the pedal remains high and firm. I'd like to think it was just a bubble that was purged....

The thing about the air pack is that it's about the only place for the fluid to go where you wont see visible evidence of a leak. That's what makes it my primary suspect....

In memorial Ron - 73M819 Robo McDuff's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 675 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98G View Post
    Despite having gone through it thoroughly in June and paying special attention to the brakes, I lost the brakes entirely, entirely without warning. Pedal to the floor, no response.

No crash. No damage. No injuries. Downshifting got me slow enough that my newly installed park brake stopped it.

Bleeding the brakes restored pedal and apparently restored full functionality. I didn't get any noticeable amount of air out of any of the bleeders.

Obviously this is a bandaid fix on a symptom of a more subtle problem. I'm stopped in Socorro NM until it has been resolved to my satisfaction. I dont yet understand what happened and "anything that you dont understand is dangerous until you do".

My suspicion is the air pack. I'll be disassembling it for inspection and rebuilding/replacing as appropriate.
    If the brakes on the old type tractor fails, should not the new presumable air-braked trailer still have at least some braking power or lock the brakes immediately as well? This is my biggest fear: brake system failing with a single-circuit system.
    M51A2 - M52A2 dual purpose truck, waiting for a double brake circuit conversion

The Soca / Izonso Front, also known as the the Forgotten Front of WW1

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

Our historic blacksmith workshop in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

Thanks
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robo McDuff View Post
    If the brakes on the old type tractor fails, should not the new presumable air-braked trailer still have at least some braking power or lock the brakes immediately as well? This is my biggest fear: brake system failing with a single-circuit system.
    The semi trailer is also air over hydraulic.

But yeah, it should at least provide a 2nd circuit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 98G For This Useful Post:

Robo McDuff (Today)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3