• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some clarification on M880 Camo Pattern

bracketracer

Folks,
I drove an M1028A2 CUCV while in the 10th Mountain Division in '92-'94, and I am also a model car builder. As a result, I have always had a nostalgic love for military light commercial vehicles. I want to do some military replicas of the M880 now that a Dodge truck model of that vintage has been re-released. I need some assistance from you M880 experts out there regarding camoflage for these vehicles. I found a great graphic from TB 43-0209 pages 46-47 that gives me awesome detail of the proper camo pattern, BUT it looks like a paint-by-numbers picture, and doesn't designate which number should be which color. It just lists 1, 2, & 3. If I am doing a model of a Green, Brown & Black 3-tone camo, can anyone give me some proper guidance on what colors equate to each number? Any advice or pictures with original 3-tone camo will be greatly appreciated!

bracketracer

I also would appreciate input on what color the interior seat and dashboard would have been originally. I assume the floors were just black rubber or vinyl.

Flyingvan911

They have the colors and numbers listed but they don’t stand out and are hard to find. 1-Black 2-Green 3-Brown. I found that printing out the pages and coloring them in with colored pencils really helps when you are actually painting the vehicle.

Last edited:

bracketracer

I am so glad that I stumbled on this website! Not only because I was able to get this info so quickly, but because there are so many great pictures and so much great information on vehicles that I am very interested in. Thank you!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I have seen some M880s in the 3 color NATO camo scheme, most would have been the MERDC 4 color camo, or solid green.

Yahoo Mail - aghinson1969@yahoo.com.jpg

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should add the clarification that most m880s would have started off either solid green or 4 color MERDC as those were the prevailing colors in the 70s. Then, they may have been repainted with 3 color camo in the 80s. Either is correct depending upon the time period you are trying to portray. David Doyle may have some information on this. His screen name is DDOYLE on this list. You may want to send him a PM.

bracketracer

Bruce, thanks for that confirmation. MERDC would certainly be more common, and I guess more “authentic”, but I’m a sucker for NATO 3-color, LOL!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should add the clarification that most m880s would have started off either solid green or 4 color MERDC as those were the prevailing colors in the 70s. Then, they may have been repainted with 3 color camo in the 80s. Either is correct depending upon the time period you are trying to portray. David Doyle may have some information on this. His screen name is DDOYLE on this list. You may want to send him a PM.
Were any of them built for the Air Force and thus painted Strata Blue???

bracketracer

From the research I have done, it sounds like most came from the factory in solid green. However, if it was a truck that went to the Air Force (that would never have left a stateside base and been considered "tactical") it might very well have ended up painted Strata Blue. I plan to take some "artistic liberties" and paint one up as an Air Force Strata Blue truck. I have also seen pictures of a Marine M880 that was painted completely light tan. I thought it looked pretty sharp too. Once I build these, I will have to post some pictures on here.

The interior of my M882 is all black - seat, door panels, and dashboard (pad). The floor covering is just a black rubber mat. I don't recall any variation in the interior color scheme in the M880s I drove back in the 1970s. I don't remember what the majority of the trucks were painted back in the day, but will accept that MERDC was most commonly applied in the 70s if the type experts say so.

busbart

All Dodges came from the factory in forrest green. Once arrived on the base, it was the commanders decision which type of MERCD camo to use depending on the surrounding terrain/saison.(i.e. summer, winter red desert or yellow desert) and how to apply, paint booth, or brush, hence all the variations.

Also I noticed that (it's my experience) Mercd camo you hardly see while 3 color nato is much easier to spot.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks