• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20,000 lb Winch Limits on an M925A2

Steelreaper80

So......I found out the hard way that the 10 ton winch on the M925A2 will pull about 35,000 lbs but not 48,000 lbs....fyi....lol.

Yes, I know it says 20,000 lbs but I was impressed that it would pull 35,000 lbs.

I got the M925A2 stuck ever so slightly when I back a loaded M322 trailer into a soft depression. Even in 6 low I didn't have enough traction to pull it out. I figured the winch would pull me up about 5 feet to more firm ground but not with the tractor on the trailer. It did pull the truck and trailer once I took the tractor off though. So just in case anyone was wondering if 20,000 lbs was the absolute limit, I say no. It has more in it.

So......I found out the hard way that the 10 ton winch on the M925A2 will pull about 35,000 lbs but not 48,000 lbs....fyi....lol.

Yes, I know it says 20,000 lbs but I was impressed that it would pull 35,000 lbs.

I got the M925A2 stuck ever so slightly when I back a loaded M322 trailer into a soft depression. Even in 6 low I didn't have enough traction to pull it out. I figured the winch would pull me up about 5 feet to more firm ground but not with the tractor on the trailer. It did pull the truck and trailer once I took the tractor off though. So just in case anyone was wondering if 20,000 lbs was the absolute limit, I say no. It has more in it.
With a snatch block I've pulled over 40k broke through the frost to the axles. But I had to paw with tires too. A 9420 john deere fully weighted with a dozer blade wouldnt move me. Made a decent anchor though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

fasttruck

Calculating resistance is a touchy feelie type thing. Absent a dynometer it is difficult to figure how much power was needed to extricate the truck but it may well be under the rated capacity of the winch as you are not lifting the load vertically As in post 2, a snatch block is your friend. A winch equipped truck is issued with 1, I always tried to carry at least 2. I have fuizzy memory of factors used to caculate resistance depending on how deep the truck was stuck: to axle, to bumper, to headlights etc. Does anybody know what these would be ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Always use a snatch block if you can. I dont care if you are single lining just an empty truck. It takes so much wear and tear off of things as is its purpose

oboyjohn

Here is what I have: At wheel depth, up to the hub, the resistance would be the weight of vehicle plus cargo. At fender depth, the resistance would be twice vehicle weight plus cargo. At turret or cab depth, the resistance would be 3 times vehicle weight plus cargo. I got this info from this manual: Recovery and battle damage assessment and repair FM 4-30.31 or MCRP 4-11.4A page 2-6 dated September 2006.

74M35A2

20,000lb is set by the hydraulic relief valve in the circuit (1750psi or so). This is why they don’t have shear pins like the mechanically driven winches.

I stuck my M925a2 to nearly the top of all six 14.00 tires in mud, playing. Nearest tree was 190’ away. Single line winch pulled it right out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks