• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Suddenly not starting

DeucesWild11

Hey guys! So I searched through a few threads and didn't find one similar to mine. So here's the story, the other day I went to start up my deuce and it was turning over great but was taking a little while so I stopped as sometimes I do and then push the button again and she usually starts right up. This time the air buzzer made a different sound when I pushed the button and some smoke came out from under the dash. I went under the truck and cleaned up the ground wire #10 to the starter and the frame, so I got a good ground there now. Without taking EVERYTHING apart and cleaning it, any tips as to what I can look for? Sounds to me like a short somewhere. I took a video and posted it on my FB account so you can see what I am talking about: https://www.facebook.com/bf.schwarz...f_t=video_processed&notif_id=1559759728706519

Let me know what you think. Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

FloridaAKM

There are quite a few threads lately with HH non start issues & other fuel related problems. Rather than retype all of it, do a little more searching & you should find what you are looking for. Now after letting out the magic smoke, you may have other problems that have not been discussed.

DeucesWild11

Flyingvan911

Check your battery terminal to post connections also. I had one melt on the inside. Looked fine on the outside but the truck didn’t even try to crank. Do your lights come on?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your battery terminal to post connections also. I had one melt on the inside. Looked fine on the outside but the truck didn’t even try to crank. Do your lights come on?
This happened to me a few times. Gremlins suck.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jasonjc

With the sound change on the buzzer and the volt meter droping to the red when the start button is push and the smoke. I'd look for a short in the wires from start switch to the starter relay.

DeucesWild11

Yeah lights come on fine, very bright actually, just had the batteries charged up recently so the first time I tried to start it the starter was turning over nicely. Then just stopped and now the starter switch is shot as it's now doing nothing. When I try and jump the switch I get a lot of sparks.. like welding and no nothing.. so it's got to be a short somewhere I think.

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just had mine do the same thing.
Turned over but sounded odd.
Had batteries checked.
One had 600 CCA of the 950 was rated for.
The other was "9" yes '9"cca of the 950.
Bought 2 new batteries.
Word of difference.
With a digital volt meter on a start up dropped to 4 volts

Barrman

The starter button gets its power from the on/off switch. As does the buzzer and gauges. Once you confirm the batteries are good. You might want to look at the switch since you said the wires were messed with in the past.

I prefer to pull the 3 lever switch out and then work on the on/off switch in the hole where the 3 lever was. Less time on my back in the small cab.

Jeepsinker

Pull the cluster out. The wires coming off the back of the start switch lay tightly against the dash to firewall support plate and they rub through right there. 5 minute fix.

DeucesWild11

Pull the cluster out. The wires coming off the back of the start switch lay tightly against the dash to firewall support plate and they rub through right there. 5 minute fix.
Thanks! I'll look for that when I have some time, been crazy busy last few days so prob won't be till later this weekend. My feeling is that it's something like that. I'll post up when I find something.

Barrman

Don’t forget to pull the speedometer and tachometer cable ends off before you try pulling the cluster. It won’t move far with them still attached no matter how hard you pull.

DeucesWild11

Ok so I didn't pull out the dash because the wires from the start button were all taped together with a bunch of others going out the firewall. So my next thought was maybe something wore down near the starter. I took off the air filter and started poking around.. BINGO!! See pics, wire was rubbing up against the copper line for the air horns. I fixed it with a waterproof heat shrink connection. I jumped the starter button with a screwdriver and she went to turn over.. Now just waiting for the starter button to come in at Grainger and i'll be all set!. Thanks again for all your help guys you're awesome!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks