• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 with m818 5th wheel plate

fasttruck

Why would anybody want to ? It will be easier to bolt a fifth wheel assembly from a donor tractor than it will be to provide trailer connections that far behind the cab.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have loggers that add 5th wheel plates to m923 cargo trucks. You can run it behind the axles if you are not pulling a heavy load like wreckerman has on his 927. Or center of the axle like a normal tractor.

Adding air lines is easy fast truck. You just run off the rear truck connections and up the trailer neck. Air line is cheap. Nylon or rubber whichever you prefer.

Csm Davis

Has any body put a 5th wheel plate on a m813.
Short answer yes.
Why would anybody want to ? It will be easier to bolt a fifth wheel assembly from a donor tractor than it will be to provide trailer connections that far behind the cab.
Longer wheelbase rides better, also why not? He evidently wants to. I beg to differ on which is easier running a couple of air lines and a trailer plug or drilling 20 big holes in the frame and moving a quarter ton of steel into just the right spot to line up those holes and the torquing 20 big bolts down to a couple hundred foot pounds, oh yeah don't forget to cut the excess frame off and add in a tractor rear crossmember and braces and the rear ramps and move the taillights and wire them up and plumb the rear glad hands and wire upthe rear trailer plug and mount the pintle hitch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Except for the backing up a rig that pivots at two points, a M197A1 or similar model trailer converter dolly is a simpler solution. They're occasionally surplused out (I have two :grin:).

fasttruck

Reference post 4: this is as bad as trying to drive a M819 fifth wheel wrecker with an aviation trailer. If the OP feels he wants to put a sleeper behind the cab or get a better ride, recommend he look into a Peterbilt with an air ride. Long wheel base and smooth suspension in 1 package. As post 4 observes, anybody doing this need access to some heavy duty metal working and material handling equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks