• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally August 29-September 2, 2019

CGarbee

Time to start the thread for this year's event.

11th Annual Graves Mountain Military Vehicle and Vintage 4x4 Trail Rides and Rally!
Labor Day Weekend
August 29-September 2, 2019

I need to update the dates on the website and upload the registration form, add the letter that I sent out to the mailing list, and get Chuck (aka: BMan) to finalize the shirt design...

However, here we are...
Last year's thread for those who want to revisit what has come before in order to get an idea of what will occur this year:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?178359-Graves-Mountain-Rally-August-30-September-3-2018

The website is located at:
https://gravesmountaintrailrides.com/

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year, and to getting to meet those who will be attending for the first time... :)

Last edited:

CGarbee

For those that are able, we are providing an opportunity
this year for folks to become members of our “Trail Crew”.
If you are able to come to either one (or
both) of our trail maintenance weekends, you’ll get a special event t-shirt and half priced admission to the event.
These weekends will be July 4-7...
Contact me in advance of either weekend to
verify meeting locations and times and to be put on the Trail Crew list.

NOTE: The second weekend has been cancelled do to work conflicts and to getting things close enough to being ready to not need the weekend...

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think I might try and make it. My best friend has his cabin on the side of a mountain around Wolf Town in Madison county. Looks like fun and only 10 miles away from him.

CGarbee

The good folks at Graves Mountain Lodge (the location of the Labor Day weekend trailrides/rally) put on a really good 4th of July celebration (band, food, fireworks, activities for the kids/family)….
I also have scheduled a work weekend at Graves Mountain (trail ride/cleanup of the trails) from July 4-7th for the Trailrides and Rally...

So, consider coming down on the 4th and enjoying the coolness of the mountains, the festivities, fireworks, etc.
Consider staying through the weekend and doing some riding and work upon the trails (earn that Trail Crew t-shirt and event registration discount...)

Let me know if you are coming so that I can roll out the welcome mat...
:smile:

CGarbee

I think that I managed to make all the important website updates over the last couple of days... Amnon is no longer hosting the site here in Raleigh, my brother is now hosting it on his server in Colorado (along with my M37 website). Over time, it means that the site can grow a bit since I don't have the space limitations that I had previously...
Meanwhile, I am having to figure out the coding on the pages in order to effect change...

So, that's a long winded way of saying that the website has the correct dates and registration form.
It also has my correct email...

Still to come are updates for the Trail Crew, FAQ, and a few other items...
Let me know what is missing or needs improving...

CGarbee

Huh! Madison County?Is that the same as in the Clint Eastwood movie: The Bridges of Madison County?Jus' wonderin'.
Different state... :)
You know, we have had a lot of recognizable folks stop by, but I don't think that Eastwood has ever made the pilgrimage...
However, Bob Duvall frequently stops in (especially on Sundays when Kevin is the one frying chicken...) and Herbert Hoover's cabin still stands nearby... :)

CGarbee

If you are coming up this weekend for the fireworks, we will be at the picnic shelter a after 7PM (may be earlier). If you have trouble spotting us, look for the collection of jeeps/4x4 parked on the opposite side of the river from the shelter (next to the horseshoe pits... We'll head up to our firework viewing area about 8:30 or so...

For those coming up to help on the trails, the folks from Rockridge Offroad are camping next to the catch and release pond. We'll be getting an early start each morning, taking a midday break, and then getting an evening work/riding session in. Check in at the Lodge office to figure out where we are (we'll be coordinating schedules for those eating meals and/or staying at the Lodge).

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July no matter where you are...

CGarbee

Work detail update : Meet at 7AM on the 5th. Meet by the trout pond (if you don't know where it is, just hang out by the Pepsi wagon in the camping field and we'll swing by and collect you.

CGarbee

The Fourth of July weekend was our first trail cleanup of the year. We had a really good effort by those who managed to attend and got a lot of the trails cleared of major obstacles although they all could use a bit more trimming (especially of the raspberry and blackberry vines encroaching upon them...). We had a few storms and some rain at night that didn't do much to slow us down although we did have to knock off early each day due to the heat. We still have a bunch of trails that we didn't get to, and a few places that we would like to open up so that we can enjoy the views...

The photos of the July 4th weekend trail clearing may be found at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124394777@N06/sets/72157709535763031/with/48241534187/

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone coming to the Rally this year have a VHF setup? I just bought a Clansman PRC-352 setup and am interested in practicing my radio skills. It's been 20 years since I used VHF in service.
We'll stick above 50MHz in the open Ham sector. And yes, one of us has a technician license.

If you'll be there, please reply with a freq for us to set up and have ready as we arrive.

If anyone is interested in a good rig, the seller ta_shunca_uitco has good feedback and has a stack of turn-key Clansman 351/352 rigs, in manpack or vehicle setup. Shipping is pricey of course, but he quoted me 6 days to delivery by Int'l FedEx. So I should have it before the rally. I wish the Clansman radios used standard NATO connectors for accessories, but in the end I don't need much after buying the all-inclusive rig anyway. The price comes out MUCH better than piecing together a PRC-25 or SEM-35 rig (with made-of-gold handsets and antennae).

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks