• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally August 29-September 2, 2019

CGarbee

Since Bulldogger has mentioned bringing his radio...

We will be utilizing CB radios on the trails as the primary method of keeping the groups together, but that we also will be using FRS radios for communications between the groups/HQ/Range... Bulldogger and hrbergeron have indicated that they are bringing surplus military rigs and I know that a couple of other folks who have registered are HAMS who have mil-surplus radios… We'll post the common channels and frequencies at the HQ tent to facilitate folks' talking to each other (and will post online for those who want to chat before they check in at the tent...).

CGarbee

Just a reminder:
Our next trail maintenance weekend is scheduled for August 16-18, 2019.
Attend and help out for the entire weekend and you’ll get a special event t-shirt and half priced admission to the event.

We made great progress on our last work weekend, but we have a few trails that still need attention...

Contact me in advance of either weekend to
verify meeting locations and times and to be put on the Trail Crew list.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since Bulldogger has mentioned bringing his radio... We will be utilizing CB radios on the trails as the primary method of keeping the groups together, but that we also will be using FRS radios for communications between the groups/HQ/Range... Bulldogger and hrbergeron have indicated that they are bringing surplus military rigs and I know that a couple of other folks who have registered are HAMS who have mil-surplus radios… We'll post the common channels and frequencies at the HQ tent to facilitate folks' talking to each other (and will post online for those who want to chat before they check in at the tent...).
Cool! My radio was shipped today, and is supposed to arrive within a week. I will post details once I receive and mount it.

Looking forward to this year's rally and have been plugging it locally.

Bulldogger

CGarbee

I just received the proofs for the shirts (both designs...) and they look great. I did have a tweak that needed to be made to each one, so I'll hold off on posting them until the next proof...
Prices should be about the same as last year for the Event shirt (I will know for sure one the design is finalized...), the Trail Crew shirt is priceless (you just need to give me a gallon of sweat...).

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying my best to get going for this event - I have a lot going on in the next month or so, so juggling my work schedule, my daughter's school related stuff, and other events that I'd like to attend - it's going to be a photo finish to get to this. I've made it to all the others so far, so cross your fingers!

If I can go, Cabell, I will have to submit a registration form onsite. Once I'm sure I can go, it will be too close to the event dates to mail the form/money in.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike (maddawg308), do you still have any of those HMMWV jacks left? Daves86 could use one. If he doesn't make Graves Mtn I can pick one up for him.

To all interested, I can bring soft slant back kits (bearing in mind I have sold near all my stock and am making more) to the Rally for the swap meet, if anyone might be interested. Please tell me if so, and I will make a point of focusing on your preferred design. No obligation to purchase, just helps me decide what to sew next, as it were.

I may bring a HMMWV cargo cover and bows as well (competing with myself, eh?). I picked one up as a trade-in for swapping out a soft slant back on a guy's ride last week.

Bulldogger

CGarbee

So, I got the proofs for the shirts back today (took at few tries to get them right, remind me never to order two different designs on the same day...).
Hopefully, you can see what they look like...
Chuck will have the Event shirt for sale at the HQ/Registration tent - we'll know the prices as soon as the shop finishes printing them and gives me a bill...
The Trail Crew shirt is available from me, but you have to come help clear trails in order to earn one... ;)

Attachments

CGarbee

A Big shoutout to Steve and Irvin (from RockRidge Offroad Jeep Club) for running up to Graves this past weekend and taking care of some items on the list of things to get ready...
Considering what needs to be done to get ready, and folks' schedules, we WILL NOT be having a work weekend at Graves this weekend (August 16-18)...
[SUB][/SUB]

CGarbee

A big thanks to Al Harvey and SCSG-G4 who have both agreed to run the range this year (that way, they both have time to socialize and trail ride, etc)…. :)

CGarbee

The deadline for early registration has passed, but you can still show up at the event and have a great time...
Just stop by the HQ/Registration tent upon arrival and Bman will take care of you...

CGarbee

Just a pair of reminders for those of you who are headed to the event this week:

We still do not have cell phone coverage. We do have wifi at the Lodge...
If someone needs to contact you, they can call the Lodge and they will relay the message down to us in the camping field and/or let you know at the next meal (if you are eating at the Lodge...).
The nearest gas station is in the town of Madison. Make sure that you top off your tanks and fill up your jerry cans on you way to the event...

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you in a few days. :)

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cabell, when can you post the VHF/CB Freq's and call signs for the rally? We're KJ4SET, capable range 30-79.9MHz Limited to 4W (until I get a vehicle mounted antenna, then 20W!).

Bulldogger

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 20-25 minutes if I recall correctly.
BDGR
Only because the road is twisty and narrow, and goes through two towns and a left turn off the 'main' road before you get to Syria, where the action is. It's actually only about 9-10 miles, but you lose cell phone signal around Aynor (key "Deliverance" theme for those who want to stay connected all the time).

CGarbee

I just wanted to thank everyone that made it to the rally.
I'd also like to thank those who's efforts made it a great weekend, especially:
Steve, Laura, and the gang from Rockridge Offroad
"Al Harvey" and Mike "SCSG-G4"
Chuck "BMan" and Sonny
Rad and Euan
The Graves family and the staff at Graves Mountain Lodge

We'll do it again next year, with just a few tweaks to enhance the experience for everyone.

Meanwhile, I have uploaded my photos and those from a few other folks to my flickr account at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124394777@N06/collections/72157709535779526/

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the the pics, that's a treat.

The chow-call looks like it was popular, that line snaked all over the pavilion!
The main dish is Eastern NC BBQ Pork, and it goes quickly! While not pictured, there was less than three cups left (one of each flavor) of the Apple, Blueberry and Cherry cobblers. About two cups worth of the Peach cobbler, so I may skip it next year and go with half-pans of the Blueberry and Cherry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks