• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A $value$ at 9,000 hours?

fastbrass

Wondering what an 803 with 9k hours, no reset, would be worth? Can it be expected to last another few 1000 hours? Overall looks fairly clean in the pictures.

Searching for an ECU (air conditioner) and found a package deal. Trying to figure out if it’s worth his asking price.

He Said he took it to an equipment shop and they said it looks like the engine may have been rebuilt, but it is not definite

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, IMHO, if you found a low hour reset unit, you'd pay $3500 or so retail. So, go down from there. If it runs and produces power (and everything works), I'd have to think it is worth $2K or so. Is it on a trailer? That would add a bit of value.

Zed254

GovPlanet does a pretty good job of keeping a year's worth of past auction prices on their website. Check past sales out and you'll get a good feel for what an 803 is worth today.

Chainbreaker

Wonder why he took it to an equipment shop? Did it need service or was he trying to get an appraisal?

Unless there is documentation showing its engine was rebuilt outside its military service life or there is a military reset tag on it, you have to assume it has 9000 original hours...that is unless somewhere along the line the person who later owned it noticed the hobbs meter failed and a working meter was scavenged off another high hours non working unit as a working replacement so as to be able to track maintenance schedule.

Not sure what he is asking $'s wise but I would have to see it running under load for a good amount of time before I would consider it not to be a lower value parts machine with 9k hrs of wear on the parts. So its price should be based on it either being a lower value "parts machine" or lower value "high hours unit" overdue for a Tier 2 3500 hr rebuild, unless actual rebuild documentation is provided that says otherwise.

I would only pay a price that I would feel comfortable paying only after verifying that it runs well under load and would factor that it will need a new or rebuilt engine soon. If it runs another 1,000+ hrs then you might come out OK. Otherwise, unit may fail when you need it most and you are then faced with expensive repairs sooner than later.

Edit: Another way to think of the 9000 hrs on the clock. Since its running at 1800 RPM think of it as a 4 cylinder diesel car running at highway speed...60 MPH x 9,000 hrs = 540,000 miles. Certainly within the capability of a well maintained diesel engine but most likely pushing the limit of a 4 cylinder engine with respect to being due for a major overhaul soon. How well it was maintained would also factor into how many more hours it might go.

Last edited:

jamawieb

I have applied companies HVAC unit with 20kw generator for sale on craigslist if you're interested.
A 9000 hour machine is only going to bring $1,000 but I will tell you they will last double that number. I have a customer that just reached 18,000 hours on his 802a.

fastbrass

I have applied companies HVAC unit with 20kw generator for sale on craigslist if you're interested.
A 9000 hour machine is only going to bring $1,000 but I will tell you they will last double that number. I have a customer that just reached 18,000 hours on his 802a.
Link or more info please?

Bmxenbrett

Personaly i dont see a 9000hr set worth much more than a good running parts set. So for me $500-$1000. But if you have a lw hour set you will most likely not need parts.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
First, it is doubtful the hour meter is correct for the generator.

The generator could have been worked over in the field. It could have been a engine replacement with no meter change. It could have been reset at field level, not at depot level. A number of things could have happened, and the hour meter was never swapped out. Someone wired the hour meter wrong and it simply was powered, and genset was never actually running.

OR, it could have 9,000 hours and the field operator took great care of it. It is based on a solid built genset, which did not have any issues, and runs great.

Pictures speak more than words. Take photos of the engine from both sides and overall condition visibly to make better judgement.

Good working unit, maybe $2,800-4,000

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks