• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bmp-1 Manuals

Coltman15

Anyone have an English operation/service manual for a bmp-1? If English isn’t possible, id settle for anything!

thanks
Doug

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about contacting one of the companies overseas that sells them. Maybe they would reproduce a manual for you for a fee. Or, look into some of the clubs in the UK. There is a lot of armor over there and you may find someone who has one that will copy their manual. Just a thought.

Coltman15

I tried the Eastern Europe sources, no response. What are the names of the clubs that I should contact. I’m in the USA, by the way.

D6T

I’ve got the info somewhere, maybe a whole manual.

A lot of those types of vehicles are similar to start and run, not much different sequence than a commercial truck.

For instance, off the top of my head, and this may even apply...flip master battery switch on, turn on fuel pump, watch fuel and oil pressure gauges build up, press starter button, adjust manual throttle knob, put in gear, and off you go. That’s pretty close to, or exactly, what it is for the MTLB, BTR60, etc., so I’m guessing they are all alike.

Coltman15

I’ve got the info somewhere, maybe a whole manual.

A lot of those types of vehicles are similar to start and run, not much different sequence than a commercial truck.

For instance, off the top of my head, and this may even apply...flip master battery switch on, turn on fuel pump, watch fuel and oil pressure gauges build up, press starter button, adjust manual throttle knob, put in gear, and off you go. That’s pretty close to, or exactly, what it is for the MTLB, BTR60, etc., so I’m guessing they are all alike.
Thanks D6T, I think that sequence is right. My problem is I don’t read Czech and I need to know what switch the fuel pump is. I’ve got it started and ran a little, now I got this red light on the dashboard, far left side. It says vent something... and yes I pre-oiled the engine with the pre-oil switch.

Attachments

Coltman15

Thanks D6T, I think that sequence is right. My problem is I don’t read Czech and I need to know what switch the fuel pump is. I’ve got it started and ran a little, now I got this red light on the dashboard, far left side. It says vent something... and yes I pre-oiled the engine with the pre-oil switch.
The light’s tag says “vent. ochr motora”, is that the overheated alert?

D6T

I’m on a mobile device that oddly doesn’t display images.

I don’t recall how the Czech and Russian vehicles differ but I believe the switch is caged with a little piece of metal over it. Far left or far right. I can’t be 100 sure but that’s a good guess.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The US Army translate and distributed manuals for them. I have seen them for other Russian armor on ebay.

Augi

According to google translate that means "Vent Engine Protector"

type "czech to english" into google to do further translations.

Augi

D6T

All: I’ve located my information! Stand by while I enter it...

OK, here is the starting procedure for the Russian BMP, and ID of some items:

Last caged switch on right side of instrument panel is the master switch; turn on.

Fuel shutoff lever is on floor to the lower right of the commander’s seat; ensure it is in the rear position.

Check voltmeter for 22-26 volts; first gauge on dash from left, push button.

Depress clutch, located on floor in front of driver, first pedal from left.

Press oil pump button; third caged button from the left. Press until gauge reads 3kg/cm2. Oil pressure gauge is located second in from right.

With oil pressure reading 3kg, simultaneously push electric and air start buttons; first and second covered buttons on right side of dash. Depress accelerator halfway. When engine starts, release buttons but maintain pressure on accelerator.

Rotate idle adjustment knob counter clockwise until RPMs are 800-1000; knob is located near the floor by your right leg.

Put vehicle in gear; shifter located to the right of the steering T-bar handle.

Release clutch slowly to put vehicle in motion.

To shut (my apologies to moderators if that word was misspelled on my first attempt) down engine, put fuel shut off lever in forward position.

Shift pattern:

1st 4th 2nd
| | |
Reverse (3x) 5th. 3rd

Last edited:

Robin33ba07

the best way to shut down the vehicle is but your foot under the accelerator and bring it back till the engine dies ,I would always leave the idle setting at 800 rpm

Last edited:

Coltman15

All: I’ve located my information! Stand by while I enter it...

OK, here is the starting procedure for the Russian BMP, and ID of some items:

Last caged switch on right side of instrument panel is the master switch; turn on.

Fuel shutoff lever is on floor to the lower right of the commander’s seat; ensure it is in the rear position.

Check voltmeter for 22-26 volts; first gauge on dash from left, push button.

Depress clutch, located on floor in front of driver, first pedal from left.

Press oil pump button; third caged button from the left. Press until gauge reads 3kg/cm2. Oil pressure gauge is located second in from right.

With oil pressure reading 3kg, simultaneously push electric and air start buttons; first and second covered buttons on right side of dash. Depress accelerator halfway. When engine starts, release buttons but maintain pressure on accelerator.

Rotate idle adjustment knob counter clockwise until RPMs are 800-1000; knob is located near the floor by your right leg.

Put vehicle in gear; shifter located to the right of the steering T-bar handle.

Release clutch slowly to put vehicle in motion.

To shut (my apologies to moderators if that word was misspelled on my first attempt) down engine, put fuel shut off lever in forward position.

Shift pattern:

1st 4th 2nd
| | |
Reverse (3x) 5th. 3rd
Thanks for the information.
One thing I’d like to clarify, are you sure that the fuel shutoff lever should be in the rear position before starting? The front position seems to open it...can anyone directly clarify? I don’t want to run the old girl out of diesel.

D6T

the best way to shut down the vehicle is but your foot under the accelerator and bring it back till the engine ,I would always leave the idle setting at 800 rpm
True, that would work.

I found that the older the Russian/Warsaw Pact armor, the more sensitive it was to having the throttle adjusted just perfectly for staying alive at idle. Probably less so on a well-maintained vehicle with a good fuel system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks