• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP802A Fuel Injector Pump Adjustment (Fuel Volume)

fastbrass

Howdy all.

Beeln searching and reading through TMs and I see a lot about timing pumps with shims etc, but I can't find a whole lot of info about adjusting fuel volume / metering.

I know you loosen the clamp, move the pump clockwise for more fuel, read exhaust manifold temps and try to get them close.

My current issue is that when the temps read as close as possible, the set doesn't run as well, and smokes more, than when the front cylinder reads about 30-50 degrees cooler. I'm reading temps on the cast iron manifold, same "area" on each cylinder. When the engine is running its best at 90% load, the front reads about 580F and the rear is around 620F. My thought is that this is because there is a lot more air movement up front with the radiator fan, it's cooling better.

What have YOU done when adjusting to get the best results?

I know how gasoline and two-stroke engines work, the more you lean them out, the hotter they run. I've melted plenty of piston in my lifetime. What about diesels? I'm new to them. Do I need to be worried about burning up a cylinder if one is running with more or less fuel than the other? If the set is running smooth and producing good power, can I stop worrying about syncing the injector pumps?

Thanks for the continued help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks