• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery bolt

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was driving earlier this week and noticed a pretty intense new noise in the flex plate/torque converter area. I took off the inspection cover to find this rolling around in the bottom.

bolt 1.jpgbolt 2.jpg

Any thoughts on where it came from? I'm not sure where it would come from in that area but I'm not familiar with automatic transmissions.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Does not belong in the converter area. I can not see it to clear but maybe from the front pump on the transmission. Doubtful as hex head bolts are used.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does not belong in the converter area. I can not see it to clear but maybe from the front pump on the transmission. Doubtful as hex head bolts are used.
I can imagine anything the small being in that area either. It's a pretty small bolt. I put the inspection cover back on and the noise is gone. No big leaks.

Chaski

That is an odd one - can't say I can think of anything in there that would use that small of a bolt. Maybe it was a pan or filter retainer bolt that someone somehow launched into the gap between the lower cover and the bell housing while servicing the transmission. The allen head fastener probably was someones hardware store fix from years past.

richingalveston

are all of the flex plate bolts there, maybe one hole was messed up and someone put an insert in the hole and then used that bolt. would have to have a washer with it though. That is my only thought other than someone was using the cover to hold some bolts from elsewhere and left that one in the cover when they put it back on.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is my only thought other than someone was using the cover to hold some bolts from elsewhere and left that one in the cover when they put it back on.
This is my current thought also. No leaks and no more noise. I'm really surprised it waited this long to make it's debut. I've put over 3K on it and a lot of off-roading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks