• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 BBL Carb Conversion

m38inmaine

I would like to upgrade to a 4bbl intake and carburetor on my M886, would like to ask if you have done this and what parts are required, like to buy new. My big concern is mating up the linkage, especially the transmission linkage on the carb.

Thanks

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surprised no one has chirped in yet. 500 cfm or smaller with a dual plane intake. May offer some improvement over the BBD.
The real power sucker is the heads, the valves are small and the ports are tiny. The cam is another bottle neck.

snowtrac nome

some of the last carbed 360s had a rodchester four barrel that worked pretty good also the early model dodges used carter afb cabs edelbrock makes reproductions of both now days and they are pretty affordable.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
some of the last carbed 360s had a rodchester four barrel that worked pretty good also the early model dodges used carter afb cabs edelbrock makes reproductions of both now days and they are pretty affordable.
I had a 1979 Dodge Power Wagon with a 360 and 1978 Ramcharger with a 318. I installed a Carter AVS on both because it's a very simple carburetor. I think about 6 moving parts and about 600 CFM. The AFB and Thermoquad were more complex and I didn't like them. I've hade a love hate relationship with a Rochester Quadrajet too, I ended up with a Holley spread bore of about the same CFM on my early Buick T-Type turbo . I also had a 440 Duster that I ran a AVS on when it was my daily driver. When I got another more economical vehicle to drive a Holley 800 CFM double pumper woke up the 440.

Simple is better IMHO.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not an 880, I had a '77 Power Wagon with a 360 in it. I did the 4bbl conversion, Found a factory 4bbl manifold at a junk yard and installed a Carter AVS. Linkage was easy, the kick down is adjustable. Big difference! I had 36 inch Kelly Safari tires on the pig, couldn't climb Cajon pass above 25 mph, after, 55. It liked fuel though!

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to change intakes unless you really want to, you can get a 2 to 4 bbl adapter and put a 4 bbl on that intake .

I have done this before, works great, better power and better mileage because 4 bbl carbs are smaller on the primary side which is where you spend 90% of your throttle time .

As far as the linkage goes I think that will just take a little common sense .

snowtrac nome

O the old Chryslers if you want the thing to run right when cold change the manifolds,just about every small block Chrysler manifold I pulled back in the day the heat riser port was plugged with carbon,and usually required a dip in a hot tank to clean out. having that port clear is especially important if you have a thermostatic choke,but also helps to keep the fuel atomized in the intake when its wet or cold out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks