• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd Transmission light behavior

beckel

I have a real head scratcher..

I went out to my 1045A2 with 4l80e trans and found one of the two batteries completely dead. The batteries werent that old so I swapped the bad one for a new unit and off I went.

However, I just noticed that the Transmission light is VERY dimly lit only when the truck is off. Here is the exact setup:

Truck off - Light is very dimly lit (about 1/4 the brightness of normal)
Ignition in the "run" position but not yet running - light is full bright (normal function for pre-start)
Running - light is completely off and the truck runs and shifts perfectly
When I turn the truck off, the light flashes very dimly 4 times and stays illuminated when the truck is off. Again, only at about 1/4 brightness

I am puzzled....clearly this is the parasitic drain that killed one of my batteries. I assume that since the trans controller is 12v that this light is also 12v and runs off the front battery (hence the one dead battery).

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this one? Maybe the trans relay behind the passenger seat isnt fully opening the circuit at shutdown? But that wouldnt explain the 4 light flash.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve had this issue, can’t remember exactly what I did, I had spare TCM’s and swapped new ones in, but that didn’t fix the light “on” issue when truck turned off. I visually inspected the cannon plug and could not see any bent pins.
at some point during my TS, it just started working correctly...so it was my assumption that I had a bad connection at the TCM.

beckel

Thanks for the responses Action and RWH. I was able to get the light to go out but I ended up having to replace the TCU with a spare I had laying around. I pulled the old TCU, checked the pins/connections, added die-electric grease to the connections, reinstalled and the light was still on. Swapped in my extra TCU and light went out. I suppose the old TCU has an internal short but its fixed now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks