• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 runs hot and shuts down

jedatide

I must admit, I am not a Forum savvy kinda guy. I did not have much luck finding what I was looking for. I have a 2004 S & S M1079 (LMTV) that runs hot and shuts itself down. I replaced the coolant and when I did there were small pieces of red plastic in the coolant. About 6 pieces of all different sizes about 1/16" thick. Is there something internal (maybe a fan), that may have deteriorated? I have no idea what they were or where they came from. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. can you post a pic.

How long have you had it, and the problem

Has anyone worked on it recently..red plastic could be from a cap or plug..

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chunks of plastic floating around in the cooling system will for sure end up plugging the radiator tubes, leading to overheating. Flush everything and get the radiator rodded out.

Third From Texas

^This

Only other option is to replace the rad, which will be silly-stupid-expensive because..."surplus junk from the military is meant to be sold for silly-stupid-expensive prices" LOL

Ronmar

Chunks are bad, wonder what they came from? I assume you got them out of the bottom of the radiator when you drained it? since flow is from top to bottom they would have had to come thru the radiator to reach the bottom of the radiator. could be from a disintegrating coolant pipe coupling, failing hose, excess gasket sealant? at any rate, if that is what came out the bottom, what is stuck on the top of the radiator that was too large to flow thru the passages? I would drain enough coolant to remove the upper radiator hose and borrow/buy a small inspection camera to put into the upper port and inspect the passages. If you find a lot more red plastic, you might be able to backflush it out of the radiator. at any rate you can get a look at he passages and decide if the radiator needs internal work. The radiator of course also needs air flow to function so those passages(and the intercooler passages in front of the radiator) must also be clear. As the engine reaches op-temp the fan should be fully engaged and pulling a lot of air thru the radiator. No flow = no transfer = overheat

Next question I have, is do you have pump output/coolant flow? There is a line that runs to the top rear port of the coolant expansion tank from the pressure side of the thermostat housing. If you remove the pressure cap on the tank and start the truck, you should be able to hear/see fluid being pumped/sprayed into the expansion tank(from back toward pressure cap). Your heater coolant input also comes from the same point on the thermostat housing, so the heater should have hot air as the engine warms. Coolant also runs down the bypass pipe(large stainless pipe in front of air compressor) to the transmission heat exchanger. It should also get warm as engine warms. No flow = no pump = overheat...

If you have valid/unclogged radiator passages and airflow, and you have pump output/flow, I would suspect a stuck thermostat that is keeping the flow from reaching the radiator to be cooled. It is located in the housing on the top front of the engine where the upper radiator pipe connects to the engine... Quick test is to remove it, put it in a pan of water on the stove and warm it above 210F and watch if it opens...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks