• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two questions for you guys!

powerwagontim

Hi Guys,
Been awhile since posting, in the middle of restoring another M37, this time for someone else. The owner would like all of the bulbs to be LED. I know conventional flashers do not like LEDs, not enough resistance to trigger them. Will the solid state flasher work with LED turn signals, or will it work just like the tin can flashers? Staying with 24 volt. It seems the modern military trucks have gone to LEDs, is there a modern flasher, or is it all done by the computer? Anyone have a list of replacement LED bulbs?
Second question is the pesky brake and clutch pedal boots! I do not recall going through much of an issue when I did my first M37 but have seen various conversations over the years about installing them. I have a small pile (dozen or so) of NOS ones. My understanding is that the repop ones are just about impossible too install but the NOS ones soaked in Brakleen will get soft enough to make the stretch. I tried soaking a couple in a container of Brakleen and was amazed how huge they got and how squishy. Nonetheless, they tore. I have wasted 4 of them and decided to stop that foolishness and ask for advice! When they dry out, they shrink back to their original size. It is pretty cool actually. Cooler if I could get it to work though! I am considering slitting them and sewing them back together if worst comes to worst.
Thanks in advance!
Tim

powerwagontim

Thanks Frank, when you say you split your boots, you mean intentionally? and then repaired? I am seriously considering cutting mine and sewing them back together using waxed sail thread. I considered using super glue but not sure how long lived it would be.
Tim

foxtrk2

if it helps when we change lights on tractor trailer units to led we have to install a load resistor to make flasher work at correct speed and to convince computer that lights are in working condition

Bill W

I cut/split one side of mine than staple them together and sealed them back up with Black 3m 5200 adhesive sealant ( the staple was to keep them aligned for the 2days it took for the 5200 to cure ). I tested a old boot with 5200 first and the rubber would tear before the glued edges would pull apart

powerwagontim

Thanks Guys, this is all good info. I will definitely be building a flasher box like the one in the attachment! Sounds like splitting the boots is the way to go there too. Bill, I agree, 3M 5200 is some tough stuff!
Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks