• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce pintle hitch shaft nut. Tight or loose?

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added a receiver hitch to my M35A2 a few years back, and when reassembling the pintle hitch, I tightened the main nut on the pintle shaft very tight. So tight it will not rotate under any circumstances.

Then recently, a neighbor dropped off his M35A3 for some light repairs. While doing a walk around of his truck, I noticed that his pintle hitch would rotate 360*, with little effort from this old man.

I first thought perhaps a loose hitch would allow for more travel without binding, when running cross country, but upon further reflection realized that a tight hitch wouldn't allow a trailer, such as my M105A3, to tip over sideways under any condition.

Anyone have input one way or the other? I'd like to return the A3 with as many things done properly, as possible.

TIA

Jay

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are designed to turn the A3 pintle is working correctly . Probably not good having them to tight to turn .

fasttruck

The pintle swivels and the lunette on the trailer doesn't to allow the truck and trailer to ocellate if on uneven ground they tip in opposite directions. If the pintle is rigid you will bend or break something when the trailer twists in a different direction than the truck. M 52s and 818s also allow for this as they have a double trunnion fifth wheel that will allow this oscillation if the trunnion wedges are adjusted accordingly.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just tighten the nut on the pintle hook to where it does not have a lot of end play but is free to turn 360 degrees. They are to turn which is why there is a grease fitting to lubricate the pintle hook shaft as it turns on the top of the bolted on rear frame mount for the pintle hook shaft. A tight pintle will cause big problems.

rustystud

Just tighten the nut on the pintle hook to where it does not have a lot of end play but is free to turn 360 degrees. They are to turn which is why there is a grease fitting to lubricate the pintle hook shaft as it turns on the top of the bolted on rear frame mount for the pintle hook shaft. A tight pintle will cause big problems.
Many of the newer Deuces do not have grease fittings on the Pintle Hitch. I added one to mine several years ago. I posted the project.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It also is beneficial to swivel in the event of an accident and the trailer turns over and the truck won't go with it. It also helps with shaft wear. Itd a tapered shaft with no bearing. They do wear out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks