• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/TSQ-217 S/A Electronics Trailer

310cruiser

Hi- I purchased an AN/TSQ-217 S/A Electronics Trailer at auction. I have searched this forum and searched the www, but to no avail. I have no idea who made this trailer or more importantly details around rebuilding the braking system or axels. If anyone has links to parts or manuals, I would appreciate it. Thanks Seth

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.
Trailer base appears to be a M116A3 or A2.
No data plates anywhere?
Manual for the M116A2/3 is in the Technical Manual (TM) section.

Croft Trailer www.crofttrailer.com has the factory parts for the surge brake assembly.
HydroAct is the Manufacturer

Dexter for the axles
Dexter and Redline for the brake parts.

Dot 5 is the brake fluid used.
Do not mix with anything else.

A unique trailer for sure.

EDIT;
If you haven’t already, inspect the wheel bearings ASAP.
You never know where the trailers been.
Most surplus trailers usually need grease, frequently seals and also bearings/races.
Maintenance wasn’t the biggest priority on these.

Last edited:

310cruiser

Thanks for the info, I will post the trailer plate, but I found it to be unhelpful.

My coworker was in communications during his Army service. When they were in the field they had generators and mini satellite dishes on them.

Upon further research it appears it is an M116A3, based on load rating, rather than the A2.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I had one just like that in the yard a few years ago. Like mentioned it's just typical m116a3 chassis, although I don't remember a dataplate saying so.

310cruiser

So an update after a great start from this forum (sincere thanks for the help thus far).

I have popped the dust shields on the axel and the grease looks brand new and plenty of it.

The tires were dry rotted so I bought four off a Military Tire reseller down in Texas.

I've pulled the combat rims apart and ordered the parts I needed to rebuild from Trail Worthy Fabircation, along with a spare wheel and PVC rim insert. I had the PVC rim insert drilled out, per the competition style due to the weight.

I bought balancing weights from EZ-Beads so I can put the tires together myself along with the rebuild kits.

I've gutted the wiring as the paint and elements have compromised the integrity of the insulation. The light housings were corroded, so I bought new lights off ebay and putting LED's in for the turn and brake lights. I pulled the IR element and LED element out along with red and white insert (respectively) and made new inserts out of plexiglass to ensure the housing stay water tight. EDIT: The bottom two position will become my back-up lights on each lamp.

I bought 18 gauge 5 conductor wiring as the amp draw will be next to zero and new military grade connectors along with a 7 pin harness.

Also picked up a license plate plate holder and lamp.

The only thing that I'm slowed down is getting the drums off to inspect the brakes. I'm guessing the shoes are over extended and preventing the drums from sliding off, but I do welcome other's opinions if by chance their is some DOD practice that I'm not aware of that is preventing me from removing the drums (yes I did remove the two screws that "retain" the drum)

Now I need to put it all together...

Last edited by a moderator:

310cruiser

New lense on the left, old lense on the right. I couldn't get the old lense to mate to the new housing.

The inserts on the new lenses are plastic welded into place. On the old lense they have flange that screw down and pan cakes the entire assemble into the housing.

When I took the colored inserts out of the new lenses I found I didn't need the plexiglass insert I had made.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks