• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bummer of a load out

2deuce

You win some and then you lose some. This one was a huge disappointment. I bought 2 CUCV pickup beds. They looked nice, they were listed as scrap, but I was responsible for loading, but when I got there they mashed and ran thru them with forks for my easy loading. they thought they were being helpful. They were in an area that I knew they wouldn't rust. Made me sick to see it. It was such a waste. The guy in charge was very sorry and too nice to be mad at. The floors are the only part (except one front panel, that I need) that is good. Is there any value in the floor and framework? They are loaded with scrap so it would be a lot of work. Does anyone go to that extent to fix a bed?

Thanks

cucvrus

I sold both perfect no rust M1028 floors for $500. each. They were perfect. I sold them to the same guy in Connecticut. I could have sold a dozen more after I sold them. But like always. Store something 20 years. Sell it and next week someone you know wants it and offers you crazy money for it. Can't seem to throw usable stuff away. If they are rusty at all they are like many. Good Luck.

2deuce

They don't have any rust, but they aren't perfect. They were forest service use so they have some dings. I did get the troop seats which I could sell if there is any demand and some bumpers.

2deuce

Forgot to add I did get a M1009 rear seat and a deuce tail gate with a nice bend. I hope my neighbors don't mind too much when I start banging on that tailgate!

DeadParrot

A clean bed floor + supports ready for bolt on side panels might be worth $ to someone doing a Chevy square PU restoration. The bed by the tailgate often catches dirt and salt and rusts out early.

2deuce

I've been seriously considering saving the floor. Out here salt hasn't been used until lately and then only in certain occasions. That being said demand for a rust free floor may not be too high. The ribs in the bed show wear from ordinary use..... I'll get a picture. Thanks for the advice.

2deuce

I cleaned the pine needles out. That tailgate is scrap. One bed side on each floor could be saved, but would need repair the others are rolled under tight. I don't know what can be told from this picture and the difficulty of removing everything might make me give up, but I think I'll give it a try.

Attachments

cucvrus

It is 99% bolted together. It has a weld on each side that holds the gate opening in check. An angle grinder will make quick work of cutting the welds at the floor line. If the floor is decent I would salvage it. Good Luck.

nyoffroad

I cleaned the pine needles out. That tailgate is scrap. One bed side on each floor could be saved, but would need repair the others are rolled under tight. I don't know what can be told from this picture and the difficulty of removing everything might make me give up, but I think I'll give it a try.
Here in NY that would defiantly be a keeper!

2deuce

The other bed pictured earlier I decided to pass on, because after unloading all the scrap out of this one, the floor looked better. I got it done yesterday before dark and got home today in time to get this picture. I only have time for one, but if it sells, I'll do the other later. My son will hate me if that happens, because we stacked and sorted all the scrap from both beds (minus the parts we are keeping) into that remaining one.
This dismantled floor has some extra holes drilled in the front of the bed floor. 2 rows of holes I think were drilled for a radio rack. The reason I think this is because the bed was painted OD green after the holes were drilled. It has a stiffener spot welded on the bottom for bolting the rack to. I used to have a M1008a1 with the rack but I never noticed what the bottom of the bed looked like in that area. The picture shows a paint line on the floor where something prevented paint wear. It was a bit of a pain reaching under the bed to unbolt it with the sides rolled up under it. I might have given up if the bolts were rusted but they came out easy once I got a socket on them. The 4 spot welds on each side were not bad.

Attachments

2deuce

Looking at the picture, the right rear corner looks bent down, but it must be the picture because it really isn't.
I just wanted to add that I'm not a scrapper, I wanted only the beds, but the scrap went with them, without any options of leaving it behind. I had to take some scrap gates too. One of the mangled ones helped hold the load together. The price of scrap out here is 110 a ton, totally not worth the effort let alone the fuel cost. Thanks for your advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks