Thread: shipping suggestions sought, gen set Little Rock, AR to Lynchburg, VA

MVPA
    24241L
    Thanks

Question shipping suggestions sought, gen set Little Rock, AR to Lynchburg, VA

Hello All,

I'd like to ship a trailer-mounted MEP-802a about 850 miles. The unit itself is in decent shape and able to be moved easily (tires are inflated and roll - don't know anything about trailer brakes yet though).

If anybody has any experience with this situation and/or recommendations on a shipper, I'm all ears.

Regards,
    SJ/JD
    Last edited by Sgt Jiggins; 06-11-2019 at 21:10.

Corporal
    Thanks

Well, i just had a 2008 Chevy C4500 transit bus delivered from Marietta Ga to my home. I used the Veritread sit through GP....but you can set up an account separately on their site. Then you can list your load for a certain amount of time to get bids on the transport from different transport companies.Its also similar with the Ushipit website. Expect to pay roughly $2.00+ a mile for the transport since its not a vehicle.
    AAR ISU-90 Container X3
    MEP-803A
    M-80 Hot Water Boiler
    M200A1 Trailer
    M1102 Chassis Trailer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kavesman1 For This Useful Post:

Sgt Jiggins (06-12-2019)

2 Star General
    Thanks

I haven't used them, but what about getting bids from https://www.uship.com/ ? There may be some hotshotter coming through your area that can hook up and go with your trailer assuming its road worthy.
    #1 House Gen PU-751/M: 1986 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    #2 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    #3 Shop Gen NF-2 Enclosure: MEP-002a w/Aux Tank

* Disclaimer - My comments on this forum are based on my opinion and my experiences only. Any information or suggestions I share could sometimes be inaccurate or misinterpreted. It is your responsibility to verify any information before using or to hire a professional.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chainbreaker For This Useful Post:

Sgt Jiggins (06-12-2019)

Thanks

From where to where are you trying to ship it? The Steel Soldier express has moved quite a few things over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dock Rocker For This Useful Post:

98G (06-12-2019), Sgt Jiggins (06-12-2019), Weller (06-12-2019)

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

You are going to pay through the nose because its on wheels, no getting around it. Uship is a joke for getting GOOD quotes. I have routinely found that the prices are either absurdly low (and they will not honor) or extremely high with no rationale. I use uship for genset shipping only, not trailers... ends up UPS freight is the least expensive through their service (versus the bid system I railed about a sentence back). Good luck all the same.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

Sgt Jiggins (06-12-2019), Weller (06-12-2019)

General
    Thanks

I'm also not a big fan of U-ship. It works, but have found some sneaky shippers who will send you a question then once you give a reply they can email you a quote directly, that way the competition does not see their quote so previous bidders don't go any lower. And it winds up being cheaper to just use a freight carrier ( for palletized items) anyway.
    I recently used Freight Quote and was very pleased. Got a good quote on-line, then my "Agent" emailed to introduce himself and was very helpful. His actual quote ( through ABF ) was actually about $50 less than the original on-line quote.
    However, like LITD said, being on the trailer is going to cause a problem shipping with any LTL Freight Co. This might be an instance where U-ship may help you find a private guy that will take it, just be careful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray70 For This Useful Post:

Sgt Jiggins (06-12-2019)

MVPA
    24241L
    Thanks

From Little Rock,AR to Lynchburg,VA

Thanks
    Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,557 Posts

Post it up on the transportation needs subforum. You may find someone going your way.

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes trips work out for me.

Between your trailered genset and bikeman's Tahoe maybe something will line up for someone and it'll get everyone's needs met.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 98G For This Useful Post:

Light in the Dark (06-12-2019), SCSG-G4 (06-12-2019)