Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Libby 802 Coolant temp.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light in the Dark View Post
    And more of a PITA if you have a trailered set. At least with the genset only, you can put a block under the radiator fill side to tilt the machine to help.
    I just use my air jack under the fill side of the trailer.
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

-- Harlan Ellison

Now, if we could only harness the power stupidity...

1969 Kaiser M36A2 WO/W
    MEP-802A

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pjwest03 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (06-13-2019)

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

For certain if there is a will, there is a way. Not everyone has the same fun toys though

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (06-13-2019)

Corporal
    Thanks

And to the OP, have you had this machine fully loaded for testing purposes? The dark smoke could very well be due to top end wet stacking that is burning off... or it could be something else. Let us know more about how you have seen this machine run before (or if you havent). Won't hurt to throw a full bottle of Seafoam into the tank while you do this, to help clean things up. Hows your oil pressure? Do you have any noticeable blowby?
    My response is back to about five of you. I had read the TM and other threads. I did replace it yesterday. I had to use the old part number to get a substitute FYI. As stated it was easy. It came up to temp 180 and ran well. I put 4.8 k resistive load for 20 minutes and I felt like the light in volume dark smoke cleared up to the point that you had to almost look for it. It is definitely not chugging smoke. Blow by.... I pulled the dip stick while running and it seemed to be under vacuum for 1/2 second then have a small positive pressure. Will check again when I finish these fuel lines. Oil pressure is real good at 50 or 55. Not much run time on it because I have been trying to buy an 803. Originally this was to be a parts machine but it has been somewhat easy to bring back. Misc. stuff like no alt. which I got from LIGHT IN THE DARK and many cut wires. I then found the very small pin hole in the fuel line. I panicked for a bit till I found the easy fuel line fix post As Guyfang has said a picture is worth thousands of words. I thought I was going to have to buy the $165 metal tubing. The crimp was a bit tough to get off but it was not so bad. The other one looks to be a bit more harder to get to. Anyway I will get it done. I kinda fell in love with the 802 is the reason I was wanting it to be my home gen. Plans for now is to continue with the 802 for the primary connection and I will continue to the search for an 803. I have bid on many here in NC. Just keep coming up short. I can afford to pay for a good one but more than $2.5k for a pig in the sack does not make sense to me. I had rather pay $3.5 for a tested running machine. When I do acquire the 803 I can just swap it out and have the 802 as a minimum get by back up. Plan to do a real nice clean legal setup. For now I will watch the smoke and performance and report back at a later date if the thermostat made a really big difference. Hate it when the later feed back is not posted, so others can learn from our efforts. I do read the old post for solutions and the the TM. I have the ultimate well nuts. But I do not have a leak and they feel pretty tight. Yet another decision to make. The tank is full and may change it out when empty. Not that I am lazy just hate to "fix" something that could outlast me as is and knowing it will be the back up plan. Ok maybe I am lazy. Thank you for the replies and follow up questions.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoP PoP For This Useful Post:

Coug (06-13-2019), Guyfang (06-13-2019), Light in the Dark (06-13-2019)

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if it cleared up to a very light haze, I'd say you are doing pretty good (seeing as there is no emissions equipment on these). The key with the 803s... patience. Good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (06-13-2019), PoP PoP (06-13-2019)

Corporal
    Thanks

Well if it cleared up to a very light haze, I'd say you are doing pretty good (seeing as there is no emissions equipment on these). The key with the 803s... patience. Good luck!
    Patience equals savings.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoP PoP For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (06-13-2019)

General
    Thanks

If you ever have the top cover off do all the return lines and well nuts. Its alot easier to do both of these with the cover off.

May be worth having 2 well nuts and a roll of return line laying around. Its prob $65 in parts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmxenbrett For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (06-13-2019)

Corporal
    Thanks

I am doing those today and tomorrow. Just replaced the high priced braided lines at the filter. Had them made up this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmxenbrett View Post
    If you ever have the top cover off do all the return lines and well nuts. Its alot easier to do both of these with the cover off.

May be worth having 2 well nuts and a roll of return line laying around. Its prob $65 in parts.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoP PoP For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (06-13-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2