• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spider box promo

Chainbreaker

If you do a search on a big auction site using something like "Construction Electrical Products-6503GU Temporary Power" you might run across the same unit as advertised in the Norther Tools #1 best seller for only $215 shipped. Yes, it is advertised as NEW.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have overzealous moderators that like to make trouble, because those words do appears in the terms of service on the site. It is what it is, we have to adapt. I don't agree with, but I don't foot the bill of the site (well wait, I kind of do as a supporter...)

Guyfang

Staff member
Yada yada yada. It's like taxes. And when you write Epay, only the deaf, dumb and blind kid playing a mean pinball won't get it. I am a leach. I don't pay. Just complain a lot. Hope the weather is good for you all!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can say Ebay....Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay....Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay EEEEEBay! See, I didn't get vaporized or have to wear a pair of concrete boots while being pushed off a dock somewhere.

You just can't post links to ACTIVE auctions that are not your own. That's all the rule says. You can link ENDED auctions or post the item number to active auctions. Just no linking active auctions that aren't your own. It's pretty clear in the rules.

I don't understand people who make up rules, then abide by their own rule they made, then bitch about it. That's like the first person who thought you have to show your receipt to leave Walmart. Now everybody thinks you have to do it. I mean who waits in line to by stuff, then waits in line again, 10 feet from the register, to prove that you bought your items?

You can't really bitch about the rules if you don't know them, right? Now everybody that reads this thread thinks you can't say "Ebay" here. Haha...classic.

From the rules:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about your vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
Now where in there does it say that you can't say Ebay? The word "Ebay" is in the rules. Maybe cut the site some slack?

NormB

You can say Ebay....Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay....Ebay Ebay Ebay Ebay EEEEEBay! See, I didn't get vaporized or have to wear a pair of concrete boots while being pushed off a dock somewhere.

You just can't post links to ACTIVE auctions that are not your own. That's all the rule says. You can link ENDED auctions or post the item number to active auctions. Just no linking active auctions that aren't your own. It's pretty clear in the rules.

I don't understand people who make up rules, then abide by their own rule they made, then bitch about it. That's like the first person who thought you have to show your receipt to leave Walmart. Now everybody thinks you have to do it. I mean who waits in line to by stuff, then waits in line again, 10 feet from the register, to prove that you bought your items?

You can't really bitch about the rules if you don't know them, right? Now everybody that reads this thread thinks you can't say "Ebay" here. Haha...classic.

From the rules:

Now where in there does it say that you can't say Ebay? The word "Ebay" is in the rules. Maybe cut the site some slack?

Guess I'm still an Irish schoolboy at heart poking the monsigneur in the eye for a laugh from time to time.

I almost always say "evil auction site", and "that jungle site" for Jeff "Dr. Evil" Bozos' site.

All in good fun.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

From the rules:

Just because I agreed with the site rules, doesn't mean I like them or think they even make sense. Few places like SS, so you have to deal.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I'm still an Irish schoolboy at heart poking the monsigneur in the eye for a laugh from time to time.

I almost always say "evil auction site", and "that jungle site" for Jeff "Dr. Evil" Bozos' site.

All in good fun.
I completely agree. I've always been of the mind that rules tend to work better when they're bent. Rules create limits and I work outside of limits everyday.

I think that ragging the site for a rule that doesn't exist is a bit unfair though. And that's the part I take issue with.

dav5

When I brought up this same subject a while ago I was chastized by one of the moderators for "highjacking the thread". Since then I have stayed silent on the subject. It hasn't stopped me from sharing Ebay finds but I have had to give a pile of "hints" so the listing could be easily found. I see many contributors do the same thing. Are we not all adults on here? Isn't it about time to change the rule?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems silly since were all buying stuff on eBay, Craigslist, and Govplanet... being able to share links would surely be helpful.
I remember something about not posting about active auctions, there is a word that i dont remember... where people dont bid on something because someone else wants it cheap....

Chainbreaker

I remember something about not posting about active auctions, there is a word that i dont remember... where people dont bid on something because someone else wants it cheap....
I think the word is collusion. As one example: If i communicate to you that "I will bid on item #9999 if you bid on item #8888", which are the same model item but several are offered under different listings. The intent is you don't want to bid against one another to keep bids lower. However, lower $ bid thresholds would be bad for the Auction House Vendor and they might cancel their advertising here if that culture were allowed to exist on SS.

Another example : if I stumble across a neat item that is up for "auction sale" but I don't plan to buy it, so being a good guy trying to help fellow SS members, I post it here for others to see. However, the added exposure of my casually linking it on a SS thread may deprive someone here who has already done their own research and due diligence from having the winning bid. So, if that were permitted it could have the opposite effect by driving up prices. So, it can cut both ways.

Yet another example is... say if I were to link an item here that I saw for sale at an auction site, while there is a SS member who has an identical item listed here in the SS classifieds it may cause the sale to go to a non SS entity versus helping a SS member sell his item here in the classifieds.

So as not to cross the line and offend the "Forum Gods" :recovry4x4: some of us talk in code to stay within the rules...wink, wink. [thumbzup]

Guyfang

Staff member
I completely agree. I've always been of the mind that rules tend to work better when they're bent. Rules create limits and I work outside of limits everyday.

I think that ragging the site for a rule that doesn't exist is a bit unfair though. And that's the part I take issue with.

Shortly after joining the Army, I discovered that rules, (regulations in the Army) are guidelines. That for every regulation, was an "Exceptin to Policy".

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rules are guidelines, if you understand the reason why the rule exists then you can figure out what to do about it.
Chainbreaker just gave a few examples of very valid reasons for the rule against active auction links to exist.

dav5

If I have put out the same amount of effort to find the item as the other guy shouldn't we both be able to do what we want with the information?

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

If I have put out the same amount of effort to find the item as the other guy shouldn't we both be able to do what we want with the information?
If I understand your question... Yes, you both can use the information for yourselves independently. However, if it is for an auction item (Gov Planet, eBay, etc.) you cannot post a direct link on SS or use SS to PM another member to "directly influence or adjust bidding between members" as that would be considered collusion or bid rigging. On the other hand, if you and your SS buddy want to "take a discussion offline" outside SS that's private & between yourselves.

However, you can still post something in general, like advice in a pertinent thread discussing for example the Pro's n Cons of high hour machines... "If it were me, I wouldn't pay more than $1,000 for a unit that has over 10,000 hours" or providing a simple heads up notice like "There are currently several nice MEP-803 units up for auction on GP right now" or "Check eBay, it currently has the described part you are looking for listed" without any direct links.

Now, if it is a COTS (Commercially Off The Shelf) item you can post a direct link since its commercially available and price is fixed and quantities are generally not limited.

Anyway, that's just my interpretation of the rules, I'm not a moderator.

Last edited:

NormB

Shortly after joining the Army, I discovered that rules, (regulations in the Army) are guidelines. That for every regulation, was an "Exceptin to Policy".
One E6 NCOIC in a clinic I worked in Augsburg used to say "Subject to change" any time a policy was noted or suggested.

It was like that tag line in the morning brief on Hill Street Blues. "Be careful out there."

We'd get our morning brief, order of the day, followed by "subject to change."

Got old after a while, but hey, it was the Army.

244 years strong, doesn't look a day over 100, but it's knees and back feel like they're 500.

Poccur

Yes that is a single phase box though...if you have a big three-phase system you need a real Utility Distribution Box (UDB) and they seldom come up for sale....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks