• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace Injector Pump, Engine, or....

ewylam

Hey folks, I'm hoping you can help me with a decision I need to make regarding my (new to me) HMMWV. Specifically, I'm looking for advice, recommendations, and experiences.

Background:
I purchased a M1045A2 HMMWV from GovPlanet on an impulse buy (no, my wife does not yet know ;-P ) and a few weeks ago it arrived. The vehicle "looked" like it was in decent shape with a good body and drivetrain but it didn't have batteries so thus it wasn't running. I gambled and hoped that after dropping in new batteries and fluids it would fire up. Well, I was wrong and after completing all the troubleshooting steps in the TM's I've determined that the injector pump is bad. (Yes, I checked the fuel shutoff, lifter pump, fuel lines, glow pugs, engine harness, injectors, etc).

The dilemma:
The engine and drivetrain "look" to be in decent shape and the engine "sounds" good while cranking. Should I replace the injector pump for ~$1200-1500 having no real way to know if there may be other issues hiding? Or, tear the thing apart and replace the whole engine with a known working drop-in ~$4000-5000? Or, if replacing is the recommendation can/should I swap in a 6.5L Turbo, Cummings, or Duramax? I know the Cummings/Duramax would be quite a bit more time and money but I really don't know about the cost/difficulty with a 6.5L Turbo swap.

Goals:
My goal is to have a reliable running HMMWV for on/off-road use that I can enjoy for years to come. FYI, While this is my first diesel and HMMWV I am mechanically inclined and have the tools and resources necessary to do what is needed with the build. I'm just having a hard time making this decision because I don't have the experience to know how reliable they are and/or what else may not work or break.

I look forward to reading the advice, recommendations, and experiences you will share so that I can finally pick a direction and run with it.

Thanks in advance!
Emmett
Salem, Oregon

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If its a DB2 injection pump, I'd have a Stanadyne certified shop rebuild it, or see if a shop near you has one available. Might even place a wanted ad in the classifieds to see if someone has one sitting on the shelf.

ewylam

Gimpyrobb,

Thank you for your recommendation. In your experience are there other items I should look at for defects or disrepair that should be replace at the same time as the IP? Perhaps any upgrades I should also consider?

Thank you,
Emmett

Guyfang

Staff member
I am no truck guy. But diesel engines run when they have Air, Fuel to the cylinders, and Compression. Before you do anything, check everything again, if not twice. Its cheaper the an IP rebuild. THEN, if it still doesn't run, like Gimp's said, do the IP.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pumps in these trucks are notoriously bad, they have sat for many many years with fuel in the pump and tank.
i have the pumps available in stock for almost half the cost you have cited.
before you replace the pump, drain the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter.
also, inspect the inside of the tank...feel free to PM me for my shop number.

ewylam

Thank you for the replies. I will definitly triple check the system before doing anything.

Retiredwarhourses, I PM'd you about your injectors.

ewylam

FYI, one of the tests I did to validate the injector pump was bad was to replace the fuel line from the filter to the pump and the return fuel line to the top of the pump with clear line. I can see that the fuel isn't being pushed through the lines when all connected which indicates to me back pressure caused by the bad injector pump. That paired with no fuel coming out of the injector lines is ultimately what made me think the IP was bad. Please correct me if that assumption is incorrect.

Yes, when disconnected there is fuel flowing out of the filter indicating a working lifter pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks