• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep002a

rpjuneau

I changed out the stator, dc voltage regulator, ac voltage regulator. the dc regulator and stator are working properly, batteries are charging. I had ac output for about ten minutes, then lost output. I need help in solving this issue. Any and all help and advice would be appreciated. Thank YOu

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. What exactly is happening when you lose output... do you notice any fluctuation in RPMs? Is this under heavy load, no load, or what condition?

rpjuneau

Welcome to SS. What exactly is happening when you lose output... do you notice any fluctuation in RPMs? Is this under heavy load, no load, or what condition?
rpms at 60hz, volts at 240, then rpms go to 95hz, then 0, and load drops off. I tested voltage at outgoing connections it was good until I lost output. I put a load on gen set, it lasted for 10min at 65 percent load. Now nothing. I just don't get it, like I said, changed stator, dc regulator, ac regulator. Stator is working, batteries are charging. I need help. I live on the water and that is my power source. Thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the frequency gauge pegs then drops off... what is the actual engine RPM doing at this time?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the set continue to make power at the convenience outlet, or does that also read 0?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mean after it stops sending power to the lugs... is there power present at the outlet? Trying to narrow down potential causes :)

rpjuneau

not that I know of. I will double check that this afternoon. Just wish I could fix problem. I was able to run 18hrs on the diesel compared to a gas gen that only runs 8-10hrs

Chainbreaker

With Engine OFF can you exercise the AC Reconnection Switch?

I had a unit that would drop out AC & it turned out that it was due to dirty contacts on the Reconnection Switch. So, just to eliminate the possibility of it being related to the AC Reconnection switch contacts making intermittent connection you should exercise it back and forth a few times with ENGINE OFF.

Often times you will find the Reconnection Switch frozen in place or very hard to turn. It designed to be hard to turn, but if it is VERY HARD to turn don't force it. You can sort of rock it back and forth by putting pressure in each direction in an attempt to break it free. If it won't turn take the side cover off the AC Reconnection box and loosen the nuts on the screws that hold the switch wafers together. After just loosening the tension (not removing the nuts) you can spray electrical contact cleaner/lubricant between wafers/contacts to get them to free up a bit so you can exercise it to break through any oxidation/corrosion of switch contacts. Once its back together work it back and forth several times.

Ray70

I assume you mean 65Hz then zero, not 95Hz. Can you give more detail on the replacement AC regulator? Was the machine dead then you replaced it with a used regulator? Or do you have any history on the regulator at all?
The 65hz. then zero scenario sounds like a possible bad connection. do what Chainbreaker said with the AC reconnect switch, then check the regulator wires, the plugs on the back of the control panel and also check the T1 and T2 transformers to see if the wires are all ok.
With it running try checking T1 for 120V output.

Guyfang

Staff member
The stator and DC reg have no bearing on this problem. Like Ray wrote, please describe what happened better. That way folks can make a better judgement about what to advise you. A better history of he set helps also.

1. Is the set new to you?
2. Have you seen it run for several hours correctly?
3. What was wrong with the set when you started working on it?
4. If you changed the AC volt reg, did you check your connections twice, if not three times? a wire in the wrong place is not good. What did you replace the AC volt reg with? An improved model? A volt reg from another set? Bought one from epay? where did it come from. Like Ray asked, a little history helps.

rpjuneau

Tonight I checked for broken and frayed wiring. Everything seemed ok. Cranked up, everything functional. Got to operating temp and lost AC output. .

rpjuneau

The DC voltage regulator and AC voltage regulator were purchased through Lakeland. The stator from eriks military surplus as new. A new load control assembly.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you manage to see if you were still getting power from the convenience outlets after the lugs went dead?

Ray70

Also, we need background history on the machine. Has it ever worked correctly for you? What was it doing that caused you to replace the AC regulator? Was it doing the exact same thing before you replaced the AC regulator? When you loose AC output do you know how long it takes to get power back? Will power come back once it cools off a little? or does it seem random?
My first thought is an electrical component that is unhappy when it gets warm.... like a transistor on the VR board, but we need more info to diagnose it.

rpjuneau

the gen set ran great for almost a year. did regular maintenance on the machine. then the batteries quit maintain a charge. all of a sudden one day the load just dropped off. I checked the normal stuff, components, electrical connections, fuses, etc. found nothing out the ordinary, except the stator was not producing any longer. changed that component, dc regulator, and thought since no ac voltage, I had a bad ac board. so I changed it, yet kept all my old components. I noticed last night that when it sat all day and on a cold crank it ran and produce normally, yet it seems that when it got to normal operating temperature it lost its load. possible I got a faulted board from Lakeland, not sure, but his warranty is 2 years. any and all help would be appreciated. I did notice that are a series of 6 soldered diodes, is it possible that when the engine reaches operating temp that the diode is failing.

Guyfang

Staff member
the gen set ran great for almost a year. did regular maintenance on the machine. then the batteries quit maintain a charge. all of a sudden one day the load just dropped off. I checked the normal stuff, components, electrical connections, fuses, etc. found nothing out the ordinary, except the stator was not producing any longer. changed that component, dc regulator, and thought since no ac voltage, I had a bad ac board. so I changed it, yet kept all my old components. I noticed last night that when it sat all day and on a cold crank it ran and produce normally, yet it seems that when it got to normal operating temperature it lost its load. possible I got a faulted board from Lakeland, not sure, but his warranty is 2 years. any and all help would be appreciated. I did notice that are a series of 6 soldered diodes, is it possible that when the engine reaches operating temp that the diode is failing.

Lets focus on on something here. It seems like the gen set reaches operating temp, and you loose the load. What means, "loose the load"? Did the AC voltage drop off, and the set ran on? Or do you mean the set just turned itself off? Stopped? Because thats two different things. Can you start the set right back up and it works right, if the set kicks off. If it keeps running, can you simply just flip the start switch back up, into the start position for a few seconds, and it again produces power again?

rpjuneau

I have power from a cold start. It seems after 10 min + or -, once the gen set reaches operating temp I loose my output, gen set still runs at 1800rpms, just no power. Shutdown gen set, restart, no output. Unit will continue to run after it looses power, I shut it down manually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks