• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 starts losing air when I shift into reverse

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission is not in any way connected to air system. If you are applying brake to shift to reverse, maybe this is what is making you believe the issue is transmission related?

Ronmar

What NDT said, Transmission doesn't interface with the air system. Reverse is a significantly lower ratio than the 2nd gear it shifts into when you go into drive. I am guessing you need to hold more brake pedal in reverse and this is forcing more air out a leak/making a leak worse...

Since this is way easier to search for without the engine running, chock the wheels, apply 120 PSI air to the emergency glad-hand at the front(this releases the park brake) and have someone step on the brakes hard. Use your ears and bubble mix on all the fittings looking for leaks...

Doug Roberts

thanks , should find it . yeah, I didn't think the transmission had an air connect , but this is what is happening. I'm getting some time to solve a few issues with the trucks, so I'm on it !

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I find the tractor valve on the back frame rail is a common problem. You get a crack in one of the diaphragms and air escapes from the valves vent when braking. And the 3 valves under the drivers foot well area can cause air leak when braking. Same issue they get cracked diaphragms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks