• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 turbo and serpentin swap

CUCV18series

M1008 turbo and serpentine swap

Hello Fellow Steel soldiers. I'm a long time follower of this awesome site. Have owned an M1008 and M1028 some years back, but had to sell them as they were my DD, and required too much work at the time to use reliably. About 6 months ago I got my hands on an M1008, intending to use it as a general farm truck for my homestead, as opposed to spending 70k on a new emissions and computer equipped diesel. The new to me M1008 has low mileage, a rebuilt engine, And also unfortunately came with a butchered 12v conversion.

In this thread I'm going to detail a serpentine belt and turbo retrofit on my J code 6.2, using an F code civilian model 6.5 diesel donor engine. If you're an MV purist like I was with my first two CUCv's this probably isn't a thread you're going to like, as I "Mad Maxed" my current M1008 during this build.

1.) Starting out:

I started out by cleaning up the 12volt conversion following the Roscommon instructions, I installed the doghead relay mod, gear reduction starter (with shim and replacing the missing starter bracket mount) and a caterpillar spin on fuel filter mod. I debated returning to the 24V system, but I found I found it easier to fix the hackjob conversion.

2.) Selecting the right parts for the swap:

i debated between using a 6.5 turbo setup and a name brand commercial off the shelf turbo set up. I decided to use a 6.5 based off of the availability of oem parts, and the price point (most commercial kits I found were roughly $3,000)

I searched a salvage yard and discovered a high mileage 1994 Civy F code 6.5 motor. I chose the 1994 vintage due to the fact that it used the original GM serpentine setup (years included were 1988-1995) To my knowledge, GM switched the serpentine belt accessories around in the 1996 year, including a dual thermostat crossover. In my case, the trucks converted 12v system placed my alternator on the drivers side, which mirrored the GM 6.5 donor engine.

If youre going to do the serp swap, my recommendation is to find a complete f code 6.5 civilian motor (To my knowledge, the military 6.5's are incompatible) as there is very little OEM or aftermarket support for finding the parts you need. I had heard of folks several years ago, tracking down the parts on auction sites, but I found the market to be dried up when I was searching. I was able to purchase my donor engine for around $200. If you're just going to do the turbo swap, there are many 6.2/6.5 diesel performance sites where you can find all Thebes necessary parts.

3.) Tearing down the donor 6.5 for the necessary swap parts:

I set about tearing the 6.5 donor down, the following parts are what I needed for turbo swap:
-the intake manifold
-turbo
-turbo (passenger side) exhaust manifold
-turbo oil feed line
-turbo oil return line.
**the 6.5 came with a heat shield for the turbo exhaust manifold to protect the injectors and lines, but this will most likely not have the clearance to fit onto a 6.2 unless you also swap to 6.5 injectors.
**Additionally, the drivers side exhaust manifold from the 6.5 will hit your oil cooler lines and filter on the 6.2. I decided to retain my 6.2 exhaust manifold for the swap. I coated the exhaust manifold bolts in pb blaster at least three days before I started tearing into the donor.

4.) Parts needed for the serpentine belt swap:

-the alternator and power steering pump bracket (drivers side of block)
-secondary bracket that mounts from power steering pump to water pump stud and engine block
-coolant crossover and thermostat housing
- front engine hoist point bracket(very important piece, as this acts as a spacer to give you proper alignment of alternator and power steering pump pulley)
-A/C compressor bracket
-vacuum pump bracket
-water pump and water pump mounting plate/timing chain cover (necessary as this facilitates the use of a later model reverse rotation GM water pump for use in serpentine belt configuration)
-water pump pulley.

5.) Parts I ended up having to buy/replace:

-belt tensioner
-power steering pump/pulley
-CS130 alternator
-fluidampr harmonic balancer
-billet crank pulley
-A/C idler dummy pulley
-I chose to upgrade to a "desert grade cooling system" from a 6.2/6.5 performance retailer. This included a high output reverse flow water pump, Dmax fan, and severe duty fan clutch, 180 degree thermostat

I cleaned up and prepped any rusty brackets, and assembled new parts in accordance with a Haynes manual for 90's models trucks.

6.) Installing the serpentine belt parts onto the 6.2:

In order to swap the parts from the donor 6.5, I needed to first tear down the whole front end of 6.2. I also removed the radiator, radiator core support, and bumper so I had room to get around the engine bay. once I had torn it down, and covered any open lines (oil cooler, transmission cooler, power steering pump lines) I began installing the new parts from the donor 6.5, again following the Haynes manual for proper placement of sealant and torque specs. I installed the 6.5 donor parts in this order:

-harmonic balancer and new seal
-crankshaft pulley
-coolant crossover and thermostat housing
-Water pump/water pump backing plate/timing chain cover (I retained the 6.2 oil fill tube, in order to keep the CDR valve in semi original position, if you opt to not do this, you will need to swap your passenger side valve cover to the 6.5 version.)
-front engine hoist point bracket and the alternator/power steering pump bracket. (The hoist bracket must be installed against the head before the accessory bracket, simply line up the holes and then bracket and bolts. This is what gives proper alignment for the power steering/alternator pulleys)
-A/C compressor bracket and A/C compressor dummy pulley.

*I waited till after completing the turbo install before installing the fan and fan clutch so that I could have free space in the engine bay.

** I chose to delete the belt driven vacuum pump that came with the 6.5 donor. The purpose of this vacuum pump is to run the waste gate actuator for the turbo. I opted to use a mechanical waste gate aka "turbo master". Since I chose to delete the vacuum pump the serpentine belt I needed had to be smaller than what a stock 6.5 runs. I opted for a 101" sized belt.

***One issue I ran into was alternator selection. I could fab up a bracket to retain the 27SI, but mine had gone bad (isolated ground post had literally corroded off) and in lieu of taking the chances with a rebuild I opted for a CS130 model that came stock with the 6.5 diesel. This meant I needed to purchase an adapter harness. This is a go between harness with pigtails to adapt a SI model alternator to a CS model. These can be found on various hotrodder retail sites for around $5. The model I selected was for a truck/car with an indicator light, as this is what is used to excite the alternator.

***The CS130 is grounded through its case, unlike the Isolated ground 27SI model from the original 24V set up. I am working off of a 12V set up. I do not have an answer for retaining 24V and attempting the serpentine swap with regards to alternator selection. I am sure someone here more experienced with the 24V system can weigh in better than me.***

7.) installing the turbo setup from the 6.5:

-I started out by removing the 6.2 air filter and air intake. I cleaned off the old gasket and installed the 6.5 turbo intake manifold with new gasket, and plenum and new gasket. I installed a vacuum line bolt into the center front bolt hole on the plenum, in order to install a boost gauge. I ran the excess vacuum line into the cab through the rubber grommet in the fire wall. I then reinstalled the ground wires on the rear most stud on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

-I then removed the mechanical fuel pump and pushrod from the engine block, and connected the input/output line and hose. I was able to find an aftermarket oil return line, complete with a fuel block off plate. If You have fabrication skills you could make your own and save yourself the $50 that it cost me.

-Prior to installing the passenger side exhaust manifold, I cleaned the exterior off with a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder, and sprayed it with 3 coats of high temp ceramic primer and paint. I then used an air hose and ran it through the inside to break up any chunks/flakes of rusty iron. Once I completed cleaning up the manifold, I drilled and tapped a port for an egt probe. Just below where the turbo mounts to the manifold on the outboard side, there is a small flat extruded square shape. This is where I chose to drill and tap for the probe. Once the probe was installed I used heat wrap around the manifold to reduce under hood temps.

-The actual physical installation got a little tricky. I was unable to find replacements for the stock bolts and studs so I ended up buying:

(3) grade 8 70mm 10M x 1.5 bolts
(5) grade 8 90mm 10M x 1.5 bolts

*Studs were run in the stock configuration but I could not find any for this application and went with grade 8 bolts.

*Other guys who had done these swaps had recommended using two exhaust manifold gaskets to give yourself enough space between the block and manifold to avoid hitting the injectors and lines. Even with two gaskets, I still had rubbing on the center two injectors (my thought is that this was due to the exhaust wrap). I went to a local metal fabrication shop with an exhaust gasket manifold in hand and had them trace and waterjet a 1/4 mild steel spacer, and drill the bolt holes for me. This solved the lack of space between the injectors problem. This also made it impossible for me to fit the manifold, bolts, spacer and gaskets between the frame and the engine block, so I used a cherry picker and lifted the engine up enough to fit the manifold and bolt it in, as well as enough room to torque to spec. I made sure to pull the engine mount through bolts prior to raising the engine. For me, I only needed about 6 inches of space to be able to fit it up and attach. Using some strips of tape with dummy tabs over each individual bolt helped to hold them in place. I worked from the side closest to the cab and then forward. The three 70mm bolts are for the three bolt holes closest to the front end.

-I was then able to install the turbo, turbo oil return line, and turbo oil feed line. Prior to installing the feed line, I filled the port up with oil, and spun the turbine by hand to make sure I didn't dry start it.

-I didn't put faith in the original stock feed line holding up to the rigors of use, so I took it to a hardware store that makes hydraulic line and had them cut and crimp me a new line using the original fittings for about $10. While I was there, I bought the necessary pieces to plumb a tee into the oil pressure sensor port which already had an oil pressure gauge installed by the PO.

-I then fabbed up a 90 degree elbow and air filter coming off the turbo intake. I used a hole saw to create a hole large enough in the 90 degree elbow to accept a grommet, and installed a 6.5 CDR intake hose, which I connected to a CDR, and then ran a line to the original 6.2 CDR port on the engine oil fill neck. There's a lot of debate about people running CDR's vs a draft tube like a cummins does. I decided to stick with a CDR as that is how the engine was designed to run properly.

-Once that was completed, I simply connected the turbo and intake together with a silicone coupler.
I then installed my manual waste gate actuator aka "turbo master" in place of the original vacuum actuated waste gate controller.

8.) Finishing the build

-I then installed the water pump pulley and fan clutch/fan, radiator and lines and filled up with the necessary fluids.

-Once the front clip was back together, I climbed under the truck on the passenger side frame rail near the center crossmember. There is a rubber fuel line in this location. I removed the fuel line, and installed a 12psi diesel fuel pump commonly used in marine and reefer truck applications, mine came with a thread on proprietary fuel filter with clear housing. I grounded it at the frame and ran it to a relay and oil pressure sensor so that if the engine loses oil pressure, the pump will shut off (in the event of an accident, this is a safeguard to prevent continuous pumping of fuel that could ignite or spill all over the road).

9.) Post build problems to fix:

-I was then able to start the truck and bleed the air out of the fuel lines, power steering system and coolant system. The engine started and ran fine, had perfect oil pressure and sounded great (or at least sounded quieter, the fluidampr harmonic balancer and serpentine belt seemed to have taken out a lot of the rattling and vibrations, im sure the turbo intake manifold helped too.) I did have one issue however. The voltage meter was only showing at 12 volts. I used a multimeter to check the alternator current, and it read at about 12.08.

-The previously mentioned oil pressure gauge that had been installed by the PO was occupying the gauge port on the dash for the indicator/exciter light. Upon further inspection, I quickly realized that the PO had destroyed the printed circuit that connects the Gen exciter lights to install the aftermarket gauges. Additionally, the printed circuit itself was in pretty bad condition. To remedy the situation till I could find a replacement printed circuit and relocate the aftermarket gauge, I simply purchased a 12 volt indicator light, which I spliced into the brown exciter light wire coming off the alternator harness, and then ran a wire with a quick disconnect to the ignition powered ports on the under dash fuse block. Once the wiring was complete, I bumped the key and the indicator light lit up, and once I cranked the motor the light went out. I checked the current at the alternator and it was putting out a solid 13.8 volts, and the batteries were also charging in the same ball park.

-At this point I am waiting on a civy model printed circuit (the model that uses indicator lights in lieu of gauges), so I can get the dash cluster back to stock configuration. Once I rehab the dash, I plan on finishing my install of a four gauge pod (EGT, Boost, coolant temp, oil pressure) placed on the dash pad above where the voltage meter is.

-Once this is complete, I'm going to have the truck towed to a local exhaust shop for the crossover and exhaust pipe. I wish I could do this myself, but I lack a pipe bender in the garage. Once the pipes are installed, i should be able to dial in my boost in conjunction with my boost gauge. I plan on running the turbo boost at 8psi. The recommended max from other walkthroughs is approximately 10psi, so im going to stick with 8psi in the event of turbo surge or that my boost gauge is off.

Attachments

Last edited:

richingalveston

you are going to need that vacuum pump. it connects to the valve on the ip and then to the trans. This is basicly the throttle possition sensor for the trans. without it your tranny will not downshift.

CUCV18series

So I maintained the gear driven vacuum pump that is mounted on the rear top side of the engine that controls the transmission valve. The vacuum pump I deleted was the serpentine belt driven vacuum pump off the 6.5 engine. That particular vacuum pump controlled the waste gate actuator on the 6.5. Since I'm using a turbo master, I don't need that particular pump.

CUCV18series

Yeah, in hindsight I should have broken up my posts, when I get a minute I'll go back and clean it up so it sounds more coherent. I think I know what Sharecropper meant about getting lost by that post. Let me see about adding some of the build up pictures in the thread too.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, in hindsight I should have broken up my posts, when I get a minute I'll go back and clean it up so it sounds more coherent. I think I know what Sharecropper meant about getting lost by that post. Let me see about adding some of the build up pictures in the thread too.
I’ve learned that you will have more folks following your thread if you will post just a little bit of progress and include photos to visually explain what you did. Have you been following my rebuild thread?

CUCV18series

Sharecropper, I actually have gotten a lot of inspiration from you 1028 build. It's one of the reasons I decided to get another CUCV after I sold my last one five years ago. I'll break them down like you did as I redo the interior/finish up the resto.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. If I could just re-retire I could get my new P400 and 700R4 installed. Let me know if I can assist you in anyway.

Terracoma

Just browsed through this, and loved the detail you went through and the info you provided!

I'm following this thread for sure, need some inspiration for my civilian 6.2L K10 Suburban.

:beer:

CUCV18series

Gary, Glad to hear it. I haven't had a chance to put it to work yet, but there have been reports of positive results from others who have done similar mods to their 6.2's. Once I'm done fixing up the gauge cluster/dash and installing my other gauges, I will update this thread on how it performs.

There is a lot of nitnoid details I left out, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me or weigh in on it here in the thread.

Barrman

Looks good. I did a Banks kit on a GEP 6500 a few years ago and am building another GEP 6500 currently in my class with the GM turbo set up. How did you run your cross over pipe and down pipe?

CUCV18series

Barrman, were you happy with your Banks kit?

I haven't gotten around to getting the crossover and downpipe installed yet. At the moment, I'm knee deep in repairing the damage that the PO did to the instrument panel when he installed some aftermarket gauges in the ports for the Gen 1&2 bulbs, I will document the repairs here in the thread.

Once I wrap up with the instrument panel repairs, I will be taking it to a local speed shop to have them fab up a crossover and turbo back pipe. I consulted with the shop owner already, and he took a drive over to check out what I needed to get fabbed up.

Just a heads up for you with your GMx turbo 6500 build and anyone else considering the GM turbo swap; Since I retained the 6.2 drivers side exhaust manifold, it will need a few additional bends for the crossover. Also, since the K30 frame is narrower than a K3500, the down pipe is going to have come down through the inner fender well behind the shock mount, and follow the outer frame rail. My plan is to have it terminate in front of the rear tire in a 45 angled downward, to avoid rolling coal onto other motorists in the other lane.

Terracoma

***One issue I ran into was alternator selection. I could fab up a bracket to retain the 27SI, but mine had gone bad (isolated ground post had literally corroded off) and in lieu of taking the chances with a rebuild I opted for a CS130 model that came stock with the 6.5 diesel. This meant I needed to purchase an adapter harness. This is a go between harness with pigtails to adapt a SI model alternator to a CS model. These can be found on various hotrodder retail sites for around $5. The model I selected was for a truck/car with an indicator light, as this is what is used to excite the alternator.

***The CS130 is grounded through its case, unlike the Isolated ground 27SI model from the original 24V set up. I am working off of a 12V set up. I do not have an answer for retaining 24V and attempting the serpentine swap with regards to alternator selection. I am sure someone here more experienced with the 24V system can weigh in better than me.***

Thinking out loud: these 1988-1995 serpentine belt setups should work for most 24v CUCVs, so long as...

1) the CS-130 can be modified to accept an isolated ground stud

• in lieu of an AC compressor delete pulley, use a passenger side alternator bracket from the 1996-2000 serpentine setup for GEN2
2) the 27SI alternators maintain correct belt alignment with a serpentine pulley installed (in place of the V-belt pulley)

• the stock CUCV passenger side alternator bracket can be reused for GEN2

Gary, Glad to hear it. I haven't had a chance to put it to work yet, but there have been reports of positive results from others who have done similar mods to their 6.2's. Once I'm done fixing up the gauge cluster/dash and installing my other gauges, I will update this thread on how it performs.

There is a lot of nitnoid details I left out, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me or weigh in on it here in the thread.
Will do, thanks!

Question about your turbo manifold clearance issues... Are your stock motor mounts collapsed? Any thoughts on installing polyurethane inserts?

CUCV18series

Grammatical error

Gary, I think you're onto something. However I cannot verify that the Gen 1 alternator can mount up using the 6.5 alternator bracket without modification to the bracket which holds the top mounting bracket of the 27SI. The CS130 top bolt is held in place by a bracket that is bolted through the tensioner pulley and over to the top alternator mounting tab. I've attached some close up photos as they sit on my current set up.

- Maybe a fabbed bracket coming off one of the intake manifold studs? The lower 27S1 mounting tabs will have enough clearance to physically overlap the 6.5 bracket, and with the addition of some washers to act as shims to keep everything tight. When I initially attempted to retain the 27 SI, I believe there was an internal gap of approximately 1/4 inch between the alternator bracket mount and both mounting tabs of the 27SI. I placed various sized washers inside these gaps and then the lower mounting bolt through, unfortunately neither the stock 6.2, nor the 6.5 upper tab mounting brackets were able to secure the top alternator mounting tab.

-For the Turbo exhaust manifold; My issue was not so much clearance with the frame, as it was getting enough clearance to avoid the exhaust manifold rubbing/touching the innermost injectors and lines. Several other guys who have done this swap had mentioned using two exhaust gaskets as extra space, but I chose to have a 1/4 spacer made to ensure injector the injector to manifold gap was appropriate. By adding the spacer, that's when I ran into the clearance issues of hitting the frame and had to lift the engine up. This could also be remedied by switching to Van or 6.5 injectors, which are shorter. However, am not sure about functionality when swapping injectors, as the fuel pumps are different. I chose to just install the spacer rather than open the can of worms with injector swapping.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

GM had a dual alternator set up for service vehicles like ambulances. Single thermostat and dual thermostat versions. I have not yet figured out how to isolate ground the CS130.

There is a guy selling GMx turbo down pipes for the square body trucks on eBay that fits inside the frame rails. I think a body lift is either required or suggested.

GM turbo will also not work with stock GM ac evaporators. Vintage Air only with the GM turbo.

I am building the 6500 in my class with the GM turbo to go into RED some day. Since it is a stock M1009 currently the ac isn’t an issue. I am doing the serpentine belt stuff on the engine in the can so it will be in the same place as the engine. This is Colton’s truck so it probably won’t get swapped until he is done with college.

My Cowdog truck was a stock civilian 1987 V2500 owned by Warthog. Because dual ac is really needed here in Texas. I had to keep the factory evaporator set up under the hood. I also wanted the exhaust to go past the rear tires. The Banks kit made that all easy. Checking eBay and Craigslist hourly paid off after a few weeks and I got one for what I thought was the right price on my limited budget.

Just the pre formed complete exhaust was worth a good bit of the kit cost.

That is is why I went Banks. I have put around 9,000 miles on it. The 4x4 square body 3/4 ton Suburbans had a factory gross combined vehicle weight rating of 8,900 pounds. It will do that at 70 mph all day long and never slow down for hills. I love it. I have yet to fill it up, get on the interstate, set the cruise and just go for a few hundred miles to top it off and repeat.

Just about every tank so far has some trailer pulling and in town driving included. I am around 14 mpg average. Which is about what a modern turbo diesel will do but at tremendous higher buy in cost and no satisfaction of building it myself.

It seems the Banks turbo for the early Ford 7.3 engine has a waste gate and is bigger. It will bolt onto the 6.2 Banks manifold and give boost right off idle. Something the GM system will also do.

Here is my Cowdog thread:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?74514-M1007-CUCV-Suburban-Clone-Build-Thread

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks